Neutrik retermination not working quite right.
Apr 26, 2011 at 8:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Raguvian

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello,

My Shure SE215 cable was too long so I cut it short and put a Neutrik plug on it. This is the first time I've tried anything like this. I did it yesterday and it was fine but today, while plugged into my Cowon J3 it kept on cutting out on the right side. I took the plug apart to check the connections and they are all fine, and nothing is touching, but still the right side intermittently cuts out.

The weirdest part that I can't figure out is, I can't get it to happen with my iPhone 3GS. The headphones are perfectly fine plugged into those but act up when plugged into the J3. Any thoughts?

Would it help to wrap the leads in electrical tape and then put the plug back together?

Thanks!

Apr 26, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #3 of 7
I am using the NTP3RC-B plug. The J3 was working fine with the original Shure plug, though. Plus the J3 is about a week old so I don't think it should be a problem with that.

Apr 26, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #4 of 7
check with another pair of earphones/headphones. defintiely sounds like the J3 if you are not having the same problems on your iphone

Apr 26, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #5 of 7
Push much harder and see if the plug is in the J3's jack all the way. With the D2, I had to use quite a bit of force than necessary to put a plug in, and I suspect your J3 is the same way.

Apr 26, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #6 of 7
The plug was in all the way. If I moved the wire around or twisted the plug in the jack the sound would cut out intermittently, and it hasn't been a one time thing. When I was walking around today at school the right side and the bass kept cutting out, and if I wiggled the wire around it'd cut as well.

I tried doing this to the plug with the iPhone and it doesn't do that. I've also tried the J3 + M31 and that combo doesn't have any problems either. Also, I have a cheap, $2 3 foot extension cable that I put between the J3 and the Neutrik plug and the sound was fine then. As soon as I plugged in the Neutrik to the J3 it started acting up again. 
confused_face_2.gif

The only conclusion I've come to is the J3 and the Neutrik plug don't like each other... :D

Apr 27, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #7 of 7
Tried the Neutrik plug on a bunch of other mp3 players and everything was fine. I also tried several different headphones with the J3 and that was fine so I ended up having to take the Neutrik plug off. I put a Radioshack plug on. I'm hoping that one will work. I'll test it today and see how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back