Neutrik Plug Defect?
Mar 1, 2006 at 12:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5
I was wondering if any of you have ever run into this problem?

I was making a batch if mini to mini interconnects today and 2 of my cables in run I made were shorting in the same place, ring and ground. Of course I test all my cables with my multimeter when I am done and to my horror 2 of them were bad?!. So I tore them apart trying to figure out what went wrong. They both had the same problem where the rt signal and the ground was shorting somewhere. When I got down to totally disconnecting the wires they were still shorting??, and it turns out that one of the plugs was defective, actually 2 of the plugs one on each cable.

Here is the stinker

Neutrik NYS23b

neutrik_NYS23b.jpg

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Mar 1, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #3 of 5
My only guess is what happened to you is the same thing that happened to me once early in my soldering career with these plugs. They are extremely heat sensitive and the little piece of plastic that separates the channels melts quickly. My guess is that you heated these for just a bit too long and poof, instant mono plug. You're not the first and won't be the last but just take your time and don't do all three connections at once or find some way to heatsink the plug while you're soldering it.

Best of luck,

Nate

Mar 1, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #4 of 5
did you test the plug beforehand to see if it was faulty to begin with? n_maher's explanation seems to be the most plausible, and I wouldn't go about calling the plugs defective parts from Neutrik without much to go from.
wink.gif

I've used a few of those plugs, never had any issues with them.

Mar 1, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #5 of 5
Yeah I am going to be testing these plugs prior to use. They are not the ones I usually use, they are much smaller than regular 3.5 plugs. I think you are correct in that my iron is too hot or I was moving too fast and like you said poof, mono plug. Thanks for the diagnosis!

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back