Neutrik Jack - Spring Hacked!
Mar 31, 2004 at 11:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

doobooloo

Headphoneus Supremus
I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but here I go...

The Neutrik locking jack seems to be a very popular choice for a lot of the DIY amps here on Head-Fi, especially for the PPA since the isolation and the locking mechanism actually provides an electronic benefit (lack of output protection of buffers)...

Anyhow. I always hated how the red tab was so hard to press. I think many others have mentioned this problem as well.

Well, this morning I found the perfect solution!

First, disassemble the unit. Everything comes off very easily with the one screw on the side. Lifting the red tab bar will reveal a spring mechanism hiding under the tab.

Second, find a lighter. Take the lighter apart, and take out the spring that provides spring support to the small flint cylinder.

Third, since this spring is too long to fit in the Neutrik jack, cut it to about the same length as the original spring. Then put it in where the original spring was. You'll notice that it's a perfect fit!

Finally, put the jack together. Voila! Now you have a Neutrik locking jack that still has the locking mechanism but the red tab is now MUCH more easy to press!

I wonder why Neutrik even put such a stiff spring in there in the first place...
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back