neutral milk hotel..similar bands?
Nov 2, 2003 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

hop ham

100+ Head-Fier
i have been on an amazon tear searching thru the people's lists, editorial reviews, similar purchased items lists...but have not found too much in the way of somthing similar to neutral milk hotel..

does anybody know if there are other bands out there that are as enjoyable to listen to? i'm not asking for bands that necessarily sound like them but bands that have the same listening enjoyment...it doesn't have to be characterized by indie rock, i'm just looking for suggestions.

Nov 3, 2003 at 12:20 AM Post #2 of 14
Does "as enjoyable to listen to" mean you "like as much as" NMH or are you asking for something more specific?

Nov 3, 2003 at 12:55 AM Post #3 of 14
yeah, sorry blessingx..should've been more specific.

i'm looking for an albulm from a band that has the same feeling as Aeroplane...an albulm that flows well as a whole and has that same emotional feel of each of the songs...i like how the lyrics seem like they flow in a distincly differently way and how his voice changes in a manner to set the feel of song...i don't know if this makes sense to anybody who hasn't listened to aeroplane but i hope those who have kinda understand what i'm talking about...

even if anyone has any other suggestions, i would like to hear them...(such as the albulms that you enjoy as much as aeroplane)

Nov 3, 2003 at 1:29 AM Post #4 of 14
Here's three that are fairly recent that I like a lot and that have some similarities to Jeff Mangum and NMH, at least to me :)

The Decemberists - Castaways and Cutouts
This is quite an album and the most immediate one that comes to mind, much more complex than I was expecting, even with all the Neutral Milk Hotel and Jeff Mangum references appearing in most of the discussions about it. Maybe it's just because I'm a little older (OK, a lot older :)), but the first thing that struck me about the music and (especially) vocals was the similarity to Robyn Hitchcock, notably his solo work with the Egyptians. And a little bit of the Smiths. The second song even kinda reminds me of a slow Dismemberment Plan song like The Jitters. And call me crazy, but the third song even reminds me a little of They Might Be Giants, something from the Flood album that I can't quite place at the moment. But there's an old cabaret aspect that runs through the music brought about by the use of those creaky accordians. Kind of a European folk sound, sometimes even a gypsy sound. The stories aren't quite as gripping as the epics ripped with such urgency from the insides of Jeff Mangum, but instead seem to be mostly told from an outside view and without much haste. Kind of reflective, you might say. More peaceful than NMH but still very personal. And very literate too, with lots of unique imagery. I like this one a lot and can see it growing to be a big favorite since it has that certain something that makes you want to know it better. The first listen actually left me just a bit underwhelmed, but it also left me with that feeling that I wanted to hear it again. And then it started to sink in much better. I do still feel it drifts a little too much towards the end and loses some of the majestic feeling that it had in the beginning but that's really a small complaint.

Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It In People
Towards the end of last year they released You Forgot It In People on the little Arts and Crafts label in Canada and it almost immediately sold out due to the heavy buzz once people heard it. So it didn't get a good release until a few months ago and now it's probably a shoe-in for 2003 top ten lists. It was close to my favorite album of the first half of the year. Strong and varied all the way through and gets better with each listen. A little bit like Death Cab For Cutie meets The Strokes at times, but the best of both. And then along comes a very cool instrumental or a nice horn and piano interlude. A little Belle & Sebastian sound at times. Clever and sophisticated experimental pop music without being coy and cute (and ultimately disposable when the newness wears off). Being a Toronto collective formed from some other more epic sounding bands on the scene with the intent of making a pop music album, they do bring some of that Godspeed You Black Emperor type sound to it. But in shorter packages, nothing much over 6 minutes long. And nothing that will leave the "experienced" music lover scratching their head....well, maybe one or two of you might wonder a little bit why some people are intent on calling this good music :). A little Spoon but not quite as frenetic, maybe some Notwist but not quite as electronic. Still some Kinks at the core like with the previously mentioned Strokes.

British Sea Power - The Decline of British Sea Power
Some Joy Division mixed with some David Bowie and Echo & The Bunnymen. Maybe add some of the literary historical references to the music that has garnered much critical acclaim for the Decemberists recently. Whatever, I like this one a lot and have been playing it endlessly. Lots of great guitar parts and the singer does sound kind of like Ian Curtis at times. At other times maybe a little like Bowie. And even a touch of David Thomas of Pere Ubu fame (well, I guess Pere Ubu and fame don't have a lot in common :)). But the music is still unique. And fun. And powerful. And emotional. It is quite an accomplished debut album, even with the couple minor missteps that inevitably creep in, although in this case they are very minor in my view, and the whole CD has a nice ebb and flow, fast and slow, soft and loud type of sequencing that is very good. It even starts with some Gregorian chanting before erupting into the second song, Apologies To Insect Life, which seems to take inspiration from and name-checks Russian novelist Fyodor Dostoevsky and his Notes from Underground, at least in relation to the lines about his attractiveness (or lack of it in the opening line of Dostoevsky's fictional diary) and the brothel scenes and all the talk of insect comparisons that runs through the diary. Below is a short review from Filter Magazine ...

You don’t need a ticket or passport to enter the ephemeral world of BSP. All you need is an open heart and a belief that bravery exists. In a stifling world of shrink-wrapped pop where albums are drawn up by committee and harnessed to a Machiavellian marketing machine, BSP are a breath of much needed air. As the album unfolds you are drawn deeper into a world where rare birds swoop and dive and nature exists alongside the urban decay of the twenty first century. Their musical reference points can be mapped out, but to reel out a list of names would be a pointless exercise because this is quite simply the most original album you will buy this year. With songs as sublime as ‘Something Wicked’, ‘Fear of Drowning’ and ‘Carrion’ you know that they are the band to fall in love with. Once you have lived in the wonderfully unique world of BSP you will never want to leave. - Julian Mash, Filter Magazine

Nov 3, 2003 at 4:41 AM Post #7 of 14
If you are looking into the Elephant Six, I have no doubts in saying that "Black Foliage" by the Olivia Tremor Control is the best album put out by the whole lot.

But, that's a matter of opinion.

Nov 3, 2003 at 1:06 PM Post #9 of 14
Most of the E6 bands have a kind of 60's sound to them. Each band does sound different, though. A lot of the music has a similar sound, and many of the bands share members between them. For example, Jeff Mangum sings on NMH cd's, and he also contibutes to the Major Organ and the Adding Machine cd...

Some of the groups are more experimental, like the Olivia Tremor Control, meaning that you hear "sound collages" on their albums

IMO, Other groups have more "complete" albums, like Neutral Milk Hotel or The Apples in Stereo.

If you read the info about the bands at the E6 website, that might help you a little, so I'd recommend doing that

Nov 3, 2003 at 4:32 PM Post #10 of 14
Hop Ham, if you locate an album that is anywhere as brilliant as "Over the Sea in an Aeroplane" let me know! I think that album is spectacular (and, sadly, I bet) one of a kind.

Nov 3, 2003 at 5:36 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Z-Tab
If you are looking into the Elephant Six, I have no doubts in saying that "Black Foliage" by the Olivia Tremor Control is the best album put out by the whole lot.

But, that's a matter of opinion.

That is a good album, much more experimental than most of the others in that loose E6 group though. Kind of a tough listen at first. Lots of Beatles psychedelia. I actually prefer the following Circulatory System release to OTC's Black Foliage and also prefer the previous Dusk at Cubist Castle. But like you said, it's very much a matter of taste and I don't think any of the Olivia Tremor Control albums have that same emotional impact that makes In The Aeroplane such a strong album, at least to me. Very good set of albums though.

Nov 3, 2003 at 5:57 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by hop ham
Davey

thanx a lot for the informative reply, i will def try to pick these up after what you say about them

Just thought of another recent one that you may want to check out, OKKERVIL RIVER-Down the River of Golden Dreams. Similar to Neutral Milk Hotel in some respects and a very cool cover too. Some info and MP3 at the site below :)

http://www.secretlycanadian.com/jagj...alog/jag54.htm

There's tons of older stuff that have nearly the same effect on me and make me want to listen over and over again, things like Nick Drake's Pink Moon and Bob Dylan's Blonde on Blonde and many others, but you probably already know the classics.

Nov 4, 2003 at 4:46 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by hop ham
i have been on an amazon tear searching thru the people's lists, editorial reviews, similar purchased items lists...but have not found too much in the way of somthing similar to neutral milk hotel..

does anybody know if there are other bands out there that are as enjoyable to listen to? i'm not asking for bands that necessarily sound like them but bands that have the same listening enjoyment...it doesn't have to be characterized by indie rock, i'm just looking for suggestions.

id try The Mountain Goats and the Apples in Stereo (e6)

Nov 4, 2003 at 5:06 AM Post #14 of 14
chadbang...i will definately let you know if i do but i think we both know that its going to be hard to find one as brilliant as a whole...but i am on a voyage to find out and thanks to everyone's suggestions, I will definately keep you all updated once i spend an enormous amount of money on music
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back