Neutral Milk Hotel distortion, normal?
Apr 14, 2005 at 1:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

alanz

100+ Head-Fier
I've recently been introduced to NMH.

My question is whether or not the distortion found on many of the tracks is normal (likely) or a technical problem.

Searching around the net found discussions of distorted bass etc, and just want to make sure that this is a "style" that NMH used in songs on In The Aeroplane Over The Sea, and not a problematic CD.

I like several of the tracks, but find some difficult to listen to because of the distortion.

Apr 14, 2005 at 1:48 AM Post #2 of 22
They use a bit of distortion on Aeroplane, and a lot more on Avery Island. Its just a part of their style
wink.gif

Apr 14, 2005 at 1:58 AM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by alanz
I've recently been introduced to NMH.

My question is whether or not the distortion found on many of the tracks is normal (likely) or a technical problem.

Searching around the net found discussions of distorted bass etc, and just want to make sure that this is a "style" that NMH used in songs on In The Aeroplane Over The Sea, and not a problematic CD.

I like several of the tracks, but find some difficult to listen to because of the distortion.

Yes it is intentionally used sound effect by artist. If you get first album "Avery" it has even more distortion used.

Just think of it in artistic terms, the distortion is like a random field of chaos from which vocal parts and music emerge and float above the din only to later deconstruct and be reformed again......
tongue.gif

Apr 14, 2005 at 2:06 AM Post #4 of 22
DarkAngel,

Yes, the voices are clear... it's the distortion in the background that gets to me. It's such a contrast to the clean sound I'm attempting to produce with the headphone, amp etc <s>

I guess it's like a Kazoo, lots of fun to play, but a bear to listen to others playing it!

Apr 14, 2005 at 3:13 AM Post #5 of 22
If you say something like "1:34 into 'Holland, 1945'" you'll get a more definite response.

Apr 14, 2005 at 3:32 AM Post #6 of 22
bln,

how about 0:04 into Holland, 1945?

I rather like the lyrics, and melody of the song... but find it nearly impossible to listen to... sounds like the diaphrams in my headphones have ripped <s>

Apr 14, 2005 at 3:32 AM Post #7 of 22
I hate to be so blunt about it, but neutral milk hotel isn't exactly an audiophile band. There are virtually thousands of production flaws in their (is it even right to consiter neutral milk hotel a band instead of a jeff magnum project?) albums, and not much is going to change it. I can personally promise you that your CD is in no way defective.

The entire aesthetic of neutral milk hotel and the greater elephant 6 collective they're part of is lo-fi. Everyone in the group jokes that there isn't a single fully functional piece of equiptment in their collection, and i don't doubt it for a second. The sound is rough, unproduced and distorted. If you're listening to it with an audiophile ear, you're sort of missing the point of the music.

Apr 14, 2005 at 3:37 AM Post #8 of 22
Ditto Ebonyks. If you like indie rock, give up on analyzing every recording.

Anyway, I happened to be listening to In the Aeroplane just as you posted. I checked back again, what you're hearing is part of the recording. It's a great album, I hope audiophilia doesn't get in the way of enjoying it.

Apr 14, 2005 at 3:38 AM Post #9 of 22
Ebonyks,

Thanks for your feedback... I'm not looking at NHM as an audiophile band...

I'm just making sure that the things I don't like were done intentionally by the band, and not a technical glitch.

I guess I'll just listen to (and enjoy) the songs that don't irritate me. I really like the use of a saw as instrument... quite beautiful, haunting. My musical tastes are eclectic, and NMH has earned a definate place in my collection and playlists.

Apr 14, 2005 at 5:37 AM Post #10 of 22
i really enjoy Neutral Milk Hotel's stuff, but the first time i put in In The Aeroplane Over The Sea i thought something was wrong with iTunes. i'm not really sure if it is wholly because it is their style. it's one thing when you hear the distortion in Kevin Shield's stuff, because it sounds really controlled and deliberate. with NMH, i can't tell. i like it anyway, though.

Apr 14, 2005 at 5:54 AM Post #11 of 22
If you say "lo-fi" to an indie music fan, the first words out of their mouth will probably be "Neutral Milk Hotel." So yes, you can tell, it is intentional.

Apr 14, 2005 at 6:02 AM Post #13 of 22
Your opinion's your opinion, but it's pretty indisputable that NMH is the indie band most commonly associated with lo-fi. That Ben Gibbard album came years later and was just some older recordings, not a real band.

Apr 14, 2005 at 6:11 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by bln
Your opinion's your opinion, but it's pretty indisputable that NMH is the indie band most commonly associated with lo-fi. That Ben Gibbard album came years later and was just some older recordings, not a real band.

i was joking. i guess i should have used emoticons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back