Neutral IEM to replace Hifiman RE0
Jun 15, 2020 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

80smusicboy

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone!

For the past 10 years I have been using the IEMs that cured “upgraditis” for me: the Hifiman RE0. The fairly lean (but clean) bass, lovely mids and great, extended highs did it for me. But they just died last Saturday.

With this in mind, do you know of any other IEMs with such great reproduction of treble? Ideally below 150€ (I’m in the EU). For more than 150€ they would have to have removable cable but never for more than 250/300€.

I‘ve read about the Etymotic ER3SE and the ER4SR and these seem to fit the bill.

Do you have other suggestions?

Thank you all for your time!

Luís

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #2 of 4
The ER3SE is great, and you can make it sound like the ER4SR tuning with a resistor modification (but I’m not personally familiar with it). If you prefer a dynamic driver over a balanced armature, the ER2SE is also great. Just note that the the default way of wearing the Etymotic IEMs are with deep insertion, but there are other ways to wear it if it is uncomfortable.

Other options include the brand new Moondrop SSR ($45), and if willing to pay more, the superb Moondrop Blessing 2 ($320).

There is also the Tin HiFi T2 (somewhat neutral, but not a true traditional neutral tuning, like diffuse-field neutral), along with the Final Audio E1000, which is very similarly tuned, but with less treble.

Lastly, there is the brand new Tin HiFi T2 Plus which seems like a different version of neutral.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #3 of 4
The ER3SE is great, and you can make it sound like the ER4SR tuning with a resistor modification (but I’m not personally familiar with it). If you prefer a dynamic driver over a balanced armature, the ER2SE is also great. Just note that the the default way of wearing the Etymotic IEMs are with deep insertion, but there are other ways to wear it if it is uncomfortable.

Other options include the brand new Moondrop SSR ($45), and if willing to pay more, the superb Moondrop Blessing 2 ($320).

There is also the Tin HiFi T2 (somewhat neutral, but not a true traditional neutral tuning, like diffuse-field neutral), along with the Final Audio E1000, which is very similarly tuned, but with less treble.

Lastly, there is the brand new Tin HiFi T2 Plus which seems like a different version of neutral.

Thank you for your suggestions, IEMusic! I’ll now investigate a bit on those!

I’m also a bit concerned that the deep insertion might not be for me, actually...

Jun 16, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #4 of 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back