Neutral dynamic in-ear monitor
Jul 10, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #16 of 25
Hey thank you for the list I appreciate the updated list based on my crazy hearing abilities.

I'm going to tell you what I think of the starfields I think the starfields for $109 are a steal they only have one driver in them so you don't get a lot of separation from instruments. You know when you have other in ear monitors that got four drivers in them obviously they're going to sound better so I guess I have sort of graduated from the starfield but I think the starfield is a fantastic bargain at $110.

When I put the fh5 on I heard things in my favorite songs that the starfield could not pick up. On the fh5 way better instrument separation bigger soundstage. I could hear the person breathing in air to get the next no doubt the settle little details as they're singing that you don't get on the starfield. I guess I'm looking for the next level kick it up a notch.

But I will keep my starfields I think I actually preferred the bass on the starfields over the fh5 not that there was more it felt tighter and more defined than the fh5 to me.
Well, that narrows it down further. That would move the ThieAudio Legacy 3 and the ISN H40 to the top.

For more information on the H40, look through this thread. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/isn...d-h40-front-page-new-d10.920551/post-15716945

The advantage of the L3 is that it is a available on Amazon Prime. The most available designs are the Clockworks and Mystique, but availability/stock seems to fluctuate quite rapidly.

Jul 15, 2020 at 12:05 AM Post #17 of 25
I'm ordering H40. The fiio fh5 has grown on me a lot I kept listening to it I'm listening to it and there's a lot of things I love about it. There are some things I don't like about it but not that much but I'm going to get the H40 to compare listen to different songs with one and then switch it to the other one I got to see how they stack up against each other.

But the fiio fh5 maybe a keeper we'll see after I compare it to the other one but it's definitely growing on me.

Jul 15, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #18 of 25
I haven't heard either, but seeing as you like the starfields, have you considered expanding your budget (swap the HIP for a dongle?) for the next tier Moondrop IEM in the Blessing 2?
Based on impressions & measurements they seem to be share same DNA (based on harman target curve etc...): https://crinacle.com/2020/05/28/moondrop-blessing-2-review-kilobuck-threat/

Apparently all of my favorite warm IEMs in this budget are now either unavailable or no longer in this budget (probably discontinued). Relentless churn of the market, doesn't really matter how good the gear is :shrug: Carbo Tenore's still out there but not sure a $30 set would keep up here.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #20 of 25
It sounds like the reviews on those Moon drops I got quite a high treble.

You can see the diff here, 4-5 dB less bass, very similar until upper midrange/treble where it's about 5dB more from 6khz up. In addition to the treble boost the drop in bass will probably increase perception of brightness a bit- I can't say how dramatic you would find those changes- these charts are matched at 1khz, but how they would actually sound depends a lot on the mixes of your music, how your own ears/iem fit accent certain frequencies, and where you like to set the volume at.

Of course these charts aren't remotely the whole story of how it will sound, but you could try EQing your starfields a bit to perhaps get some idea of overall tonal balance and if you'd find it too bright or not.

WYRM1Tc.jpg

If you haven't already, since you have heard a number of IEMs and looking to try more I suggest exploring that comparison tool - for instance fiio fh5 is in that database, I find comparing two IEMs I am familiar with probably the most useful part of these graphs, helps for understanding my own hearing/preferences and what changes I might like to try.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #22 of 25
Okay guys I need some help I posted another thread last week I had the fiio M11 dap player ended up not liking it it was too bright for me.

I now have the IFI hip DAC which has a burr Brown chip in is a tad on the warm side but that's what I like.

I'm looking for something in the US $200 range it's going to fit my style I'm thinking since the DAC is warm I need something probably neutral.

I'm not a basehead but I want something with good bass not overdone I'm more of a focal person something that's got crisp good sounding vocals I like travel but I don't like it overdone where I can't listen to it for over an hour.

There are hundreds of choices so I don't want to go through trying dozens of them to find the right one so I'm looking for someone with obviously more experience than me that can recommend me maybe I'll take the top three and give them a try $200 and under.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Dunu titan-3. There's a bit of a dip past 5k upper mids, so at least you know what you're expecting. I prefer the tonality over my blessing2. Timbre is better too.

Jul 24, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #23 of 25
I ordered the fiio fh5 I've been listening down to them for several weeks now done deal it's over with them keeping them they sound fantastic they've grown on me I love them with the hip dac great combo. Thank you everybody for your suggestions the fh5 just ended up growing on me and I'm not returning them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back