Neutral Closed-Back Options $1k CDN budget
Oct 14, 2021 at 6:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Sonic Atrocity

500+ Head-Fier
I'm currently driving my HD600 from a Qudelix 5k, using Oratory1990's EQ presets to hit the Harman target (Oratory's wiki: https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index/). I love it, and it's a pretty neutral setup.

But I need a closed-back version to rival it, for when I'm at my girlfriend's place (I don't expect her to put up with my open-back cans! :p). I originally grabbed a DT770 250ohm, but it had a really annoying channel imbalance, and my follow-up research indicates that Beyerdynamic's quality control is subpar. Word is Sennheiser are the kings of quality control, especially where the HD800 and HD800S are concerned. But their closed-back options are pretty pedestrian...

If you'd point me in the direction of closed-back cans that rival, or even exceed the HD600, that come from a company that has good quality control, I'd really appreciate it.

Denon? Sennheiser? AKG? Up-market Beyerdynamic?

PS: I'd do Focal, but a lot of their headphones have leather on them. I'm a vegan. :p

Oct 14, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #2 of 29
The DCA Aeon RT would be my recommendation.
DCA is using synthetic leather for their pads, if I remember correctly. I'm not sure about the headband though, but you can probably just email them and ask (avoid using outlook/hotmail though since for some reason outlook filters DCA emails).

I think the EMU Teak also uses synthetic leather so that would be another option.

Oct 15, 2021 at 12:06 AM Post #5 of 29
The DCA Aeon RT would be my recommendation.
DCA is using synthetic leather for their pads, if I remember correctly. I'm not sure about the headband though, but you can probably just email them and ask (avoid using outlook/hotmail though since for some reason outlook filters DCA emails).

I think the EMU Teak also uses synthetic leather so that would be another option.
Hmm, interesting. Aren't they a particularly v-shaped phone, though? Are you able to compare them to the FR of the DT770?

Oct 15, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #11 of 29
I've yet to find a truly neutral closed back, and the closest I've come are with "studio monitor" types that are rarely if ever above like, $300.

Maybe Neumann NH-20? They run $500 USD.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #14 of 29
Just to note something about DCA headphones which I forgot to mention that might make a difference:
They require a decent amount of power. You can get that with the 100USD Schiit Magni, but still something to consider since it may add cost.
Thanks for mentioning this. I was actually wondering if planar magnetics would pose an issue..

I currently have a qudelix 5k, with an unbalanced and balanced out (the latter adds an additional 6db of power). Would the qudelix run DCA cans? I'm rather interested in the Noire, honestly... Though that will run me some serious money and I'll have to save for a while. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back