Neutral/ balanced amps, under $100??
Nov 26, 2006 at 3:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

100+ Head-Fier
[EDIT: Neutral home headphone amp, under $100?]

As the title, says: Do you have any recommendations for a neutral/ balanced amp under say $100? I need an amp to power cans like Beyer880, AKG 701, Senn650, and all other "Quite" high end cans.

Is that the right title, does neutral and balance mean the same in this hi-fi world? What I mean by neutral/ balance is NO emphasis in treble/bass/mids. Just like a SennHD595 in a headphone world, pretty much. The Senn595 is pretty much balance/neutral, compared to Grado or AKG, I'd assume.

If there's any previous threads that would be helpful for me, please do post them.

Thank You.

Nov 26, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #2 of 24
Are you looking for a home amp or a portable amp? There really aren't too many home amps at this price range (only one I can think of are the LDs), whereas there are quite a few portables for under $100. Just be aware that threads like this usually turn into one where people start listing every amp available in the $50 ~ $500 range if your questions aren't uber-specific.
cool.gif

Check out this thread: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209876

Good luck on your search.

Nov 26, 2006 at 8:48 AM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you looking for a home amp or a portable amp? There really aren't too many home amps at this price range (only one I can think of are the LDs), whereas there are quite a few portables for under $100. Just be aware that threads like this usually turn into one where people start listing every amp available in the $50 ~ $500 range.
cool.gif

Check out this thread: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209876

Good luck on your search.

Home/ portable doesn't make any difference to me since I'll be using it at home. What does matter, is the NEUTRALITY.. I think I like neutral equipment (amp, dac) since I could easily swap the headphone if I wanted more bass/ treble, etc.

Is LD = Little Dot?

That thread isn't specific to NEUTRAL amp, but it's definitely helping me to know which ones are in my price range. Thanks.

Nov 26, 2006 at 8:53 AM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by neergan1216 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My vintage Marantz Model 1060 amp ($50) sounds marvelous with my Sennheiser HD600's, but my source is a Cary CD 306/200 cdp ($2000 used).

Wow, why are you using a $50 amp with an expensive player? Is that a great cheap amp?

I think my source is pretty decent, I just bought the Emu1212m. I don't know how it compared to a $2000 player, tho..

Would you happen to know if that vintage Marantz Model 1060 amp is NEUTRAL or not? I might want to try some bright cans also, and if my amp is bright, my opinion of those cans would not be too objective.

Nov 26, 2006 at 7:57 PM Post #6 of 24
You're looking for a "neutral" amplifier, but not a "balanced" amplifier. In this case, the word "balanced" implies that a piece of gear has balanced outputs (i.e. XLR or TS instead of RCA).

I'm also a fan of neutrality, and have found the Pioneer Elite A-35R integrated amplifier to be relatively neutral. It has a $200 MSRP but can be found used for less.

However, I've never tried higher-impedance cans through the headphone output, but others say it's quite good considering that's not its main purpose. If you don't care about speaker output, you're better off strictly looking for a headphone amplifier.

Nov 26, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #7 of 24
how about a cmoy with lm6171(or lm6172) perhaps a slightly hopped up variant with a buffered ground.

should come in at the low $$$ mark, but its a very sweet op-amp.

Nov 26, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how about a cmoy with lm6171(or lm6172) perhaps a slightly hopped up variant with a buffered ground.

should come in at the low $$$ mark, but its a very sweet op-amp.

zero audiocraft looks like a relatively high quality TLE ground 6171 device.
Nicer opamp choice than the LD micro and PA2V2.

Govibe 5 of course takes the standard penguinamp/cmoy/audiocraft one step further with a LM6171 for grounding and a three channel design - like the portaphiles.

The xenos X0ha-REP seems to be a pretty neutral amp from what I've heard of it. Some feel that the 6171 isn't neutral because it could be overly neutral...or fake sounding/synthetic - if that makes sense.

Another amp to seriously consider is the shellbrook audio lab mini.

Nov 28, 2006 at 8:55 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by neergan1216 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My vintage Marantz Model 1060 amp ($50) sounds marvelous with my Sennheiser HD600's, but my source is a Cary CD 306/200 cdp ($2000 used).

In my experience, the vintage Marantz amplifiers and receivers are just about the farthest you can deviate from neutral. They mate great with most consumer speakers and also many headphones (Though I definitely would not recommend it for the HD650) however, they also have an overwhelming warmth that when coupled with an already warm headphone just results in a muddy and indistinct presentation.

I haven't tried it myself but I've heard that the Go-Vibe is a fantastic headphone amplifier with gobs of detail and accuracy for the cheap price. Sure it won't shoot down a GS-X or anything but from what I understand it's a very good amplifier for the price.

Nov 28, 2006 at 9:09 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by 465 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I won't use my amp for travelling or something like that, so would home amps have a higher cost-performance ratio than portable amps?

Absolutely No.

The Xenos 0HA-REP is very netural and good sounding. And, if you order it customised directly from Alberto, with an AD823 and LMH6654's ($122 less shipping), it'll impress you... The same thing I couldn't really say about the standard Go-Vibe v5 (it had a depressing, dead sound for my ears, at least this was with the HD650).

For an upgrade on the (standard) Xenos, consider the mSEED LABS Faith AMP.

Nov 28, 2006 at 10:00 AM Post #12 of 24
Sort of off-topic, but I think starting with a nice budget purchase is fun. Upgrading in the future won't be such a daunting prospect.

I'd imagine it's lonely at the top with all of the absolute best stuff. Not that I wouldn't mind having it... Just that the journey would be over.

Nov 28, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #13 of 24
ain't no shame in vintage parts. my rig is pretty solid imho, and yet you look at what i'm using as a power amp and a spare headphone out and it's a Marantz 2226, which was had for $25. so there are some nice deals out there, go get em!

Nov 29, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ain't no shame in vintage parts. my rig is pretty solid imho, and yet you look at what i'm using as a power amp and a spare headphone out and it's a Marantz 2226, which was had for $25. so there are some nice deals out there, go get em!

I love vintage equipments, or at least vintage looking, like Grado, but do you use them with high-impedance cans, like AKG 701, Senn 650, Beyer880?

"Skyline889" posted above that his Marantz 1060 is warm, which wouldn't be appropriate for Sen650, would the Marantz 2226 be different? Would it be NEUTRAL sounding and suitable for high-impedance cans?

Nov 29, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Absolutely No.

The Xenos 0HA-REP is very netural and good sounding. And, if you order it customised directly from Alberto, with an AD823 and LMH6654's ($122 less shipping), it'll impress you... The same thing I couldn't really say about the standard Go-Vibe v5 (it had a depressing, dead sound for my ears, at least this was with the HD650).

For an upgrade on the (standard) Xenos, consider the mSEED LABS Faith AMP.

Why don't home amps have better cost-performance ratio than portable amps? Even laptops are a bit more expensive than desktops.

What kind of music do you like? I heard G5 is pretty good w/ anything. The same as Little Dot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back