Neutral amplifier for HiFiMAN HE-500 in a 200-600$ (or euro) range?
Sep 6, 2015 at 5:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

U6astik

100+ Head-Fier
Dear all,

While I am waiting for my beloved HE-500 to come, I'd like to ask for your advice and opinions regarding the best neutral amplifier for HE-500 for classical music.

I am going to feed the amplifier with a my portable iBasso DX50 player via a 3.5mm-to-RCA cable.

Here is a pretty long list of my needs:

• I am a student and I travel by plane six times or more annually. Thus the amplifier should not be too heavy. Easily transportable, but not portable.
  • The amplifier should not emphasize any frequencies, it should be as neutral as possible. (No emphasis on attenuation of bass, midrange, treble)
  • It should withstand brutal vibration, as it will be transported in my carry on hand luggage and, believe me, I drag it along uneven roads alot :p
  • The amplifier should have good or very good specifications (low output impedance, low THD, high SNR, A class preferably..)
  • Price range is within 200-600 dollars or euros, if it costs more and fit into most of my demands, I will need to save up to buy it later (which is of course not desirable)
  • If the amp you advise me is a DAC/AMP combo it is to have a coaxial input (my iBasso has only coaxial out)
  • It should act as an ideal voltage source (same voltage into different impedances) or be very close to it:
1000 mW @ 50 Ohm (7.071 Volts)
500 mW  @ 100 Ohm (7.071 Volts)
167 mW  @ 300 Ohm (7.071 Volts)

I have shared my concern in the HE-500 thread, but then thought it's probably not the right place for such questions.
Hope to receive your responses.

Regards

Sep 6, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #2 of 9
My initial choices were: Corda Jazz, Schiit Asgard 2, Schiit Lyr 2

I have found however negative feedback about ability of Jazz to power HE-500 and the poor amount of technical specifications being offered on Meier site leave me rather sceptical about it. Although I do like its looks, its weight and its moderate price.

The Schiit products seem to be nearly choice, however I have heard they are not neutral, but rather "colourful". They are not too light and Lyr 2 is quite expensive.

I cannot audition any of the amps mentioned above, so I rely only on your opinion and technical specifications.

My next choices were: Burson Soloist SL, Burson Soloist, iFi amplifiers

Soloist SL is very expensive, quite heavy and not too popular (I wonder why). Some people say it's bad, because people get rid of them a lot. Other reviews however say that SL is nearly as good as the Soloist, praise its circuitry simplicity and high quality. They also say it has a bloomy midrange, which is not something I seek.

Soloist was review by Skylab on innerfidelity and was name an extremely neutral amplifier having no flaws. It is **** heavy, too big, but seems like an amplifier you can live with for the rest of your life. I am afraid that is what I am looking for in terms of neutrality.

I have also heard that the main difference in sound of Soloist and Soloist SL is due to use of different attenuators and that 2 years ago Burson has sold the attenuators for the Soloist separately for the customers to be able to install them on their SLs. Have you heard anything about this case?

I have never liked iFi amplifiers (especially due to their strange power output specifications), but they are very nice in terms of transportability and mass.

I am able to audition the amplifies mentioned above, but would be grateful to hear you opinions regarding them.

Sep 7, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #3 of 9
The amplifier should not emphasize any frequencies, it should be as neutral as possible. (No emphasis on attenuation of bass, midrange, treble)

Any decent solid state amp in your price range should be able to accomplish that. Pick from the ones that have frequency response range specs listed.

It should withstand brutal vibration, as it will be transported in my carry on hand luggage and, believe me, I drag it along uneven roads alot :p

I don't think anyone can predict this for you. Desktop amps aren't made to be portable. Might be better to spend at the lower end of your budget range knowing you might potentially damage it.

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #5 of 9
I don't think anyone can predict this for you. Desktop amps aren't made to be portable. Might be better to spend at the lower end of your budget range knowing you might potentially damage it.

Thank you for your reply.

Indeed, the dilemma I faced is whether to buy a very good product now or buy a moderately good product now and then buy a better one later.
Don't really know which way to go..

Sep 7, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #6 of 9
I think the HE-500 are a particularly poor choice for you given your travel needs. They are more difficult to drive than most other headphones short of electrostatics. As such

* They need a more expensive, more powerful amp than most headphones
* The types of amps people use them with will tend to be bigger, heavier amps than what you could use choose for most other headphones

Based on your sig you are coming from $50 Panasonic headphones? Is that correct? There are SO many headphones that would be a tremendous upgrade over those which would be a better choice for you. If you can cancel the order on the HE-500s, I would do so.

Sep 7, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #7 of 9
The HE-500's aren't that difficult to drive, I've done it with an E12 and a Cayin C5. 

However, if you want to travel with those things, good luck, lol. 

The cable is really thin, too long, and gets tangled easily. Oh, and they're open headphones so it's like walking around with a set of speakers attached to your head, everyone will hear and complain. 

I'd suggest selling the HE-500 and getting the Alpha Dogs for $499. Both sound very sweet, i prefer the Alpha Dog but I'm sure there are people out there that prefer the HE-500. 

The Alpha Dog is closed so they're better when you're around people when traveling. Yeah the cable is long, but not as long as the HE-500's, it's THICK and never gets tangled. Alpha Dogs also can be powered by E12 and C5. 

Both headphones are HUGE though and not really portable, but they sound great and at least the Alpha Dog is closed. I travel with Alpha Dogs all the time, but only when I'm actually on the flight and situated, I don't walk around with them, no way no how, lol. 

I'm just giving E12 and C5 as examples, I'm sure there are better portable choices, those are just the ones I travel with.

Sep 7, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #9 of 9
* They need a more expensive, more powerful amp than most headphones
* The types of amps people use them with will tend to be bigger, heavier amps than what you could use choose for most other headphones

Well, I am looking for a relatively expensive amplifier, don't I? 
wink.gif

Based on your sig you are coming from $50 Panasonic headphones? Is that correct? There are SO many headphones that would be a tremendous upgrade over those which would be a better choice for you. If you can cancel the order on the HE-500s, I would do so.

Yes, that's correct :) I see your point, but I was in love with HE-500 for a long time and decided to buy them until they are gone forever. I was also able to buy them for a relatively low price.

The cable is really thin, too long, and gets tangled easily. 

Yes, I've heard that, but the main concern is that the cable has a bulky 6.3 plug, which is not suitable for portable use. That is the reason I am looking for a custom cable for my HE-500.

Oh, and they're open headphones so it's like walking around with a set of speakers attached to your head, everyone will hear and complain. 

No, no, I'm not going to listen to them on the go 
k701smile.gif
k701smile.gif
k701smile.gif
 . I just want to transport them and the amplifier.

Well, 0.31 is not a tremendous amount of voltage. My DX50 can output up to 2.49 volts, if I remember right.

Can anyone comment on British amplifiers - Graham Slee and NJC Audio? British products are usually luxurious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back