Neutral Amp For K612 (Mixing Music)
Jan 8, 2016 at 1:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

YaBoyJDub

New Head-Fier
Alright! Long story short, I have no monitors. I had a pair of M40x's for a while, and my mixes translated fairly well. Not PERFECT, but had people confused on how I made my songs sound so good on just headphones. They broke and AT sent me M50x's. I sold those and bought a pair of K612's. I currently have a Magni and it IS NOT strong enough to power these. I can turn it all the way up and it's still low, plus any bass distorts the signal.

I've seen plenty of post saying that the Magni should work fine, but as someone who has it, heck no, and yes, I have burned AKG's in for about 100 hours now. The funny thing is that my Live Wire HA04 gets much them louder than my Magni.... Which is really confusing, but it still has that low end problem. I need an amp that can power than damn loud at around 11 - 3 O'clock. It needs to be very transparent, or damn near. This is for mixing music, not gaming or enjoyment, so I don't want it to make my headphones sound warm or dark. 

So, here's a list of amps that I have my eye on. I really want to choose from this list, so none of that "Save up $50 more and get (insert amp here)." My limit is around $150, with the last resort being $200 for a damn good deal. I haven't been able to release my music for a month and a half, and the longer I wait, the more antsy I get. I'm looking to spend the least amount of money because I also need to buy a pair of closed back headphones for monitoring. If there are other amps in these price ranges that fits my needs, post em'!

1. Matrix M-Stage (2010 Version)
Someone on my local craigslist is selling it for $140. I'm really thinking about it. I've read some people say that it's a really strong amp, and I've read some that have said it's not strong enough for the K612's.

2. Schiit Vali
Even though it's a tube, people says it's quite neutral. Plenty of used ones for around $80 - 100. I've read quite a few threads of people saying it works great with the K612/K601, but seeing as how it's a cheaper Schiit amp and I know the Magni isn't too far behind it... I'm not really sure.

3. Little Dot Mk II
Can get one for $125. I know it'll be strong enough, but I also know with that many tubes, it will definitely be anything but a neutral sound. Though I can tube roll, I still don't think it would be great for a transparent sound signature. I don't know though...

3. Bravo V2 or V3
Plenty of people are saying these things are powerful and a few said that the V2 makes the K612's sing, but I'm not so sure, and are they fairly neutral?

4. Bravo Audio Ocean
Can get one for $89 - 112. There are mixed feelings with this and the K612/K601 though. I've read some people say that it works perfectly, and some say it has terrible synergy. I'm also not sure if it's fairly neutral, although I could tube roll.

5. Schiit Asgard (1st Gen)
Very rare to find someone selling the 1st gen, but I have seen a few, and they are fairly cheap. I have also seen a few 2nd Gen ones for around $200, but I'm not sure how long those listings will be up, or if they're even still relevant. I read a thread where someone said that it powers the K612's okay. Though I think it'd power them quite easy. Out of all of these amps, this is the one that I personally think would work flawlessly for my needs, but it's also hard to find and the 2nd Gen used is either at the peak, or past my budget.

6. FiiO E10K
Fairly cheap, but this is another I'm not really sure of... I know it has a warm signature, and it's pretty much an enjoyment amp, but I'm not sure how neutral it actually is. I've also seen people say that it's perfect for the K612/K601, and some say it's not strong enough.

7. FiiO E09K
Once again, not sure how neutral, but apparently this amp is pretty strong.... It's also hard to find a used one. Probably for that reason, lol.

8. Monoprice Desktop Headphone Amplifier
This runs for $79.99, and apparently is very similar to the E09K.

9. SMSL sApII
It runs for $67.98. I have no knowledge of SMSL amps. I read a review saying that this specific one has a neutral sound. They're quite a few of them that are in my price range. I read a comment on YouTube saying that they bought this specific one for their K612's, and they don't even have bring the volume nob halfway. If it really is that powerful and neutral at that price, it's a no brainer. It'd be exactly what I'm looking for and I'd be able to spend the rest on a pair of closed back headphones for monitoring.

10. Topping Amps
There's plenty of them in my price range, but I don't know anything about them.

11. xDuoo AmpsSame thing with the Topping. Don't know anything about them, but there's quite a few in my price range.

12. Magni 2 or 2 Uber
Apparently these are much stronger than the 1st Gen Magni. Quite a few say that they drive the K612/K601's with ease, but once again.... Quite a few people say that about the 1st Gen Magni, and it's not true at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back