Neuros Portables feedback wanted- Hardware
Sep 15, 2005 at 10:48 AM Post #91 of 159
One other thing I would like, although it is not an "audiophile" request:

Some sort of simple "lock" button (preferably hardware) that will disable all controls except for the dedicated volume control. I find that I often hit my ipod's controls during playback when I don't mean to.

Sep 15, 2005 at 10:54 AM Post #92 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
I find that I often hit my ipod's controls during playback when I don't mean to.

The ipod has a hold switch on top next to the headphone out.

Sep 15, 2005 at 11:15 AM Post #93 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoZX
The ipod has a hold switch on top next to the headphone out.

lol, that's slightly embarassing! I didn't realize it kept playing with the hold switch on!
eek.gif

Still *my* ideal switch would not disable the volume control.

Sep 17, 2005 at 11:19 AM Post #94 of 159
Any news? Two days have passed and I'm already starved!
wink.gif

Sep 17, 2005 at 2:10 PM Post #95 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by seeberg
Personally, I think Rio only did wrong that they didn't plan out properly, namely the direction of their company in spite of such overwhelming odds, and the fact that a few-emphasis on few- of their flagship product turned out to be fautly in some respects. I mean the Karma of course, but this isn't the first time I've seen something like this happen, Sony had the same problem with their PS2 console at the time of the US launch, but the difference was that they were stubborn and arrogant about it-at least, several of their service reps were. And oh man, they made me so
mad.gif
!!!

Of course, I don't know exactly how Rio could have recovered from that situation, besides suggesting that they take a different approach in the future, like a more grassroots and word of mouth approach to things, but it was too late. They were on the verge of something great apparently, and it was all pulled out at the last minute. It happens though, it's a shame, but time goes on....

I think the different approach is the key point to be honest. I do believe that word of mouth can sustain sales at high enough levels for a company like ours. I always tell our customer service folks that they are our advertising, and I believe that. Put 5% of sales into making sure that folks are happy instead of advertising. I believe you guys are certainly right about the mass consumer, they are highly influenced by the advertising campaigns. On the other hand, you have to believe that 5-10% of the market does their own research and forms their own opinions. Those are the folks that we target (it's a plenty big segment for us) and we target them with the right product and keeping them happy.

Sep 17, 2005 at 2:56 PM Post #96 of 159
A number of folks have been asking in PM, etc about timing for the N3. Realistically, it's a good 8 months away. However, we will be incorporating a lot of the feedback from this forum on the next generation 442 which will be going to Gamma about the first of the year. Although it's a bigger unit and missing some of the desired features (most notably batt life and replaceable batteries) it will share the same platform and as the N3 (software and HW) and have a higher capacity HD (2.5"). Further it's going to have all the SQ improvements that we've talked about here, so I believe it will be the best sounding DAP available (even though it's technically a PMP). I know it's hard to accept that an audiophile would use a PMP, but I do hope that we can at least find a few beta testers from this forum. If nothing else, it will be a good testbed for early feedback on the audio hardware. Also because the software platform will be shared with the N3, it will give developers a jump on tweaking software for the N3 (which I will address on a separate thread-although I've already gotten something of a feel from this thread)

Joe

Sep 17, 2005 at 3:09 PM Post #97 of 159
Can I also suggest you implement .cue file support? i.e. for each album there is one large audio file with an accompanying .cue file with tracklist information so that each track within the large single audio file is treated as a single track. Foobar2000 has excellent .cue file support and it completely solves the whole gapless playback issue in one step.

As for lossless compression, I'd recommend flac and wavpack, also monekys audio (ape) though I'm not sure if the player can support the higher compression levels as they can be pretty taxing even on a PC.

For me a top quality EQ is very important. I also like things that respond very quickly, i.e. fast efficient UI, quick playlist browsing, track loading.

Sep 17, 2005 at 4:37 PM Post #98 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeBorn
I know it's hard to accept that an audiophile would use a PMP, but I do hope that we can at least find a few beta testers from this forum. If nothing else, it will be a good testbed for early feedback on the audio hardware.

Oh, I don't think you're going to have any trouble finding volunteers for that task.
eggosmile.gif

Quote:

Also because the software platform will be shared with the N3, it will give developers a jump on tweaking software for the N3 (which I will address on a separate thread-although I've already gotten something of a feel from this thread)

That's a neat approach, and I'm sure it'll help to reduce workload and development/manufacturing costs for you guys, which is almost always a good thing for the folks who end up buying the stuff.

Sep 17, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #99 of 159
I've honestly always wished for a thread like this.

It appears that my priorities in a portable are pretty similar to everyone else here:
1) Sound quality, above absolutely all else
1.1) Gaplessness
1.2) Power behind the sound
2) Capacity
3) Battery Life
4) Size

As for some nitpick issues:
* User-upgradable / replacable HD and battery would be nice
* Line-Out
* A dedicated hardware volume control

Probably most important: please, for the love of everything sonic, do not include recording capability or video playback. We want a music player. I'm even against a color display. If, sadly, the player of this discussion is already locked into having video capability, then I beg you to please make something just music, some time. I would buy it, regardless of my current financial situation.

Sep 18, 2005 at 3:26 PM Post #100 of 159
Well, mineswell take a crack at this.

First, pretend I pasted cr0's priorities in here. Then, add a codec-plugin system and better queueing (no skippin, and I want to add albums!). Add a cool looking UI and case, and I'm set.

Sep 18, 2005 at 8:21 PM Post #101 of 159
THE MUSTS

* Nice looking pocket friendly design. (In my opinion RIOs mistake with the great Karma)
+ Good examples of this are the apple, sony, and iRiver players.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* Easy to use, and both file tree, and ID3 tag navi.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* Durability (RIOs other mistake)
+ A good example of a durable look is sony HD players.
* If targeter to people looking for good sound it should have the best sound ever in a DAP, and hopefully by far.
+ I should include as good a DAC as possible, and a really powerful amp. At least like Xin Supermicro http://fixup.net/products/inlineamp/index.htm
+The headphone out and lineout should also be very good components.
+ For the video playback an option simulating surround sound should also be cool, which while not good for music is better for movies.
+ Customizable equalizer (8+ bands).
+ Great instrument separation, soundstage.
+ Many people would like an equalizer preset to make the music sound more upfront/dynamic. Default sound, however should be as neutral, clear, detailed, and full as possible (transparent sound).
* Gapless, in various codecs.
* Good battery life.
* It should have a good balance of all of the above. With no area lacking. An area lacking could be bad for the product.

GOOD, though not completely nescessary.

* To attract also the consumer market, I believe some EQ presets would be nice, including one with a very dynamic sound, grado headphone like sound.
* Nice color screen, and GUI.
* FM, radio, and recording.
* Games, and other features.
* Bit perfect optical out, though not nescessary if the DAC and software is really good. Include an optical out only if it works like a real optical out and it is bit perfect.

Hardly nessessary but nice.

* Crossfeed.
* If it had a touchscreen the equalising options could be nice. You could just draw the frequency line for equalization.

Must Avoid.

* In my opinion, it is good to avoid including any feature that has no place in a DAP (cellphone features, and the like).

Sep 18, 2005 at 8:36 PM Post #102 of 159
The most important things for me, in descending order:

Great sound quality
Lossless support (Flac mainly)
Digital out
Fast response
Good EQ
On-the-fly playlist creation

A pretty basic last thing: The system should recognise it as an external HD. Transfer software is soooooooooooooooooooooooo lame.

Sep 18, 2005 at 9:41 PM Post #103 of 159
Feanor, great comment. I hadn't thought about that, but that would make syncing with any PC/usb much easier. The PC's at work are "locked down" so there is no software installation capable, but with the external HD recognized, it would be like a jumpdrive and music could be uploaded as wanted.
Thanks for that recommendation!
Ron

Sep 18, 2005 at 11:09 PM Post #104 of 159
I'd like:
- multi language support. Especially east asian languages.
- A durable casing. Actually, a durable product in total.
- an upgradeable hard drive would be nice.
- 20 to 30 hours battery life. It should last the working week without needing a recharge (I hate getting caught out with my ipod)
- digital out would be nice.
- Is it possible to implement AAC support?
- tag editing on the player. I miss this feature from my MD recorders..
- a standard USB cable, ie, no proprietry cables.
- some software, at least enough to tell me whether a file is already on my player by ID3. But i'd prefer something more fully featured. Also if it's possible to also just drag and drop that would be nice.
- small size. especially thickness. 20mm or so maximum.

I don't care about colour screens. Just make the text easy to read. Although OLED is nice looking.
I think these are in order of my preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back