Neuros III developer board in production - specs
Nov 16, 2005 at 8:14 PM Post #16 of 32
No, this was the flash memory backpack for the neuros 1, has a mighty 128 MB of flash memory built in with no way to expand it.

Nov 16, 2005 at 8:17 PM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
As soon as it goes on sale, it will replace my iriver.

sennportrig.jpg

What's all that?

Nov 16, 2005 at 9:07 PM Post #18 of 32
Headroom Coda/Overture, iRiver H3*0, what looks like 580s with 600 screens, and some nasty cables.

My Neuros II is huge, and if the III is any smaller, it would be great. But, I'm going to get one regardless of the size, because they're just so sweet!

Nov 17, 2005 at 9:16 AM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by reeseboisse
Headroom Coda/Overture, iRiver H3*0, what looks like 580s with 600 screens, and some nasty cables.

My Neuros II is huge, and if the III is any smaller, it would be great. But, I'm going to get one regardless of the size, because they're just so sweet!

almost correct, its the micro stack, Iriver hd120, 580s, and nasty cables, I seem to have an uncanny knack with ugly looking cables. The important thing is they do the job.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2005 at 11:35 AM Post #20 of 32
Thought I take a quick moment on comment on the Neuros III size. It will be near Ipod size. This was a huge issue and clearly this player needed to brought down from the current version.

Keith Ashwood
American Techpushers

Nov 17, 2005 at 10:31 PM Post #22 of 32
A huge issue...Kevin made a funny!
smily_headphones1.gif

Other Adam: Neuros stuff is always aimed to be pretty cheap. My Neuros I cost $199, which was seriously cheap for a 20GB player at the time (about half the price of an iPod). If you read the IRC logs Joe links from the Neuros blog, it really isn't costing them a lot extra to provide high-quality audio; only an extra $5 per unit in parts, which is chump change. Getting high quality output isn't really rocket science, especially since we all want to use external amps anyway - all you have to do is use a good quality DAC, and good quality DACs don't really cost much more than bad ones as raw parts, and provide an unamplified line-out as well as the amplified head-out. The biggest problem with most currnet DAPs is they have so-so DACs and don't provide unamplified line-outs, which mean that even if you're using your own amp, the signal's already been "polluted" by the internal amplification. Obviously if they were going to build a micro stack or a xin supermicro inside each of these things they'd cost a lot, but they're not, they're just being smart enough not to screw the signal up
smily_headphones1.gif
. I doubt the III will cost much / any more than competing players.

As for your interface requests, one of the nice thing about the Neuros I / II was that they were very good at upgrading the firmware and listening to user requests. The firmware changed hugely from the version released with the initial units through to the current 2.28 firmware, mostly in response to user requests. They've mostly stopped updating the original Neuros firmware now since they're working on the newer products, but it had a long run. So even if the III doesn't do everything you want at launch, stick around the forums and demand it, and it'll probably get written into the firmware over time.

Nov 17, 2005 at 10:45 PM Post #23 of 32
There's only one thing I want to know - will it have gapless? If it doesn't, I won't buy it.

Nov 17, 2005 at 10:56 PM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kameleon
There's only one thing I want to know - will it have gapless? If it doesn't, I won't buy it.

Yes it will. A few months ago there was a thread by some guy from the Neuros company asking what "we" wanted and gapless was the number one request.

Nov 17, 2005 at 10:59 PM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk
Yes it will. A few months ago there was a thread by some guy from the Neuros company asking what "we" wanted and gapless was the number one request.

Yeah I remember that thread - I'm just waiting with bated breath to see if they have actually listened to all our concerns
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 18, 2005 at 12:33 PM Post #26 of 32
We're certainly listing and many of features you all have requested will start being implemented in software on the 442 even before we release the N3, so you'll start to see some progress in Q1 towards your requests.

Joe

Nov 18, 2005 at 12:36 PM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeBorn
We're certainly listing and many of features you all have requested will start being implemented in software on the 442 even before we release the N3, so you'll start to see some progress in Q1 towards your requests.

Joe

God I love you guys
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back