Neuance shelf for TT
May 13, 2003 at 6:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

yidimsum

500+ Head-Fier
I received a Neuance Audio shelf in the mail today, and it has really improved the sound of the TT. The TT was originally placed on a stock 0.625" MDF shelf of a Standesign Penta rack, and the Neuance was cut to replace the stock shelf. The Neuance shelf is approximately 1.5" thick and is really light weight. On some posts on AA, the structure of the shelf is supposedly differing densities of foam with a durable outer covering - but of course it's hush hush or else Neuance Audio wouldn't get any business.

The most significant improvement is an improvement in detail, a haze that was originally there seems to be lifted away. With improved detail, instruments now have a definite space and the soundstage is also greatly improved. The changes weren't subtle at all, I literally thought I had a new TT. The sound just left me with a jaw dropping smile. I guess I'll cut the bs and just say that this is probably the best $175 I've spent on any audio tweak. Any owner of a TT without a suspension like the VPI Scout should definitely check these out. They are also supposed to work really well on pre-amps and CDP's. Main problem is that a solid, 4-legged rack is needed to use the Neuance to its full potential. I've read people using DH cones under the Neuance with great success also though. It took 6 weeks to receive the shelf from Ken Lyon, the owner of Neuance Audio. He's been back ordered lately, but he's a really nice guy and enjoys talking about audio even if it's not about his own products. Other products that are touted on AA include Black Diamond Racing shelves that are made out of carbon fiber and cost significantly more. I also found some comments comparing the Neuance shelf to Zoethecus Z-slabs a lot of people feel that the Neuance sounds more neutral. (All of my comments are based on a 2-channel speaker system, but I think that improvements would also be significant through headphones.)

1052782189.jpg

1052807004.jpg

May 13, 2003 at 11:50 AM Post #2 of 5
I ordered one a couple weeks ago to use under my CDP in a Target VR5 rack, where I am currently using stock shelf with Aurios 1.2 & top bearing. Current wait is 5 weeks for delivery (but may turn into 6 weeks).

I don't expect it will be better, but I am willing to try it out since even if it is equal it would be much easier to use vs Aurios. Many people over at Audiogon like them, but Neuance will have to work extremely well to come close to matching Aurios 1.2, the problem with Aurios is stiff/heavy cable forces must be neutralized to allow gear to properly float.......this can often be a real pain.

I will be using 3/8 brass capnuts like upturned cones under Neuance shelf on Target rack.

Thats a cool looking TT
cool.gif

May 15, 2003 at 12:30 AM Post #3 of 5
Hows that flag working for you? Whats it for?

May 15, 2003 at 5:32 AM Post #5 of 5
I am more impressed with your system every time I see it.You seem to make excellent choices in gear based on research and auditions, and I can imagine that you are very pleased with the performance of your system.I love reading your posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back