Networking question.
Aug 24, 2008 at 7:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

AuroraProject

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a network question for the gurus out there. I have a network printer that I need to set up on the opposite side of the house from the router/wireless access point. So I assume I need a wireless bridge, right? Ok, but wireless bridges all seem to have only one rj45 port, and I may want to add devices on this side of the house in the future. So my question is can I plug a switch into a wireless bridge? The router is dhcp, so I don't see why it wouldn't work, just wanted to be sure before I buy any parts.

Thanks.

Aug 24, 2008 at 7:34 AM Post #2 of 6
That should work fine, it's the job description for wireless bridges. What was even cooler for me was the last HP printer I bought. It connected right up to the wireless access point so I didn't have to run cables. I assume your printer only has a RJ-45 jack so you have to run a cable between the bridge and the printer? Here's a link confirming it

Aug 24, 2008 at 8:36 AM Post #3 of 6
Yes, the printer has one rj45, so it has to be wired to something.

So my plan is to go wireless bridge into an 8 port switch, and use one of those ports for the printer.

Aug 24, 2008 at 8:41 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, the printer has one rj45, so it has to be wired to something.

So my plan is to go wireless bridge into an 8 port switch, and use one of those ports for the printer.

Sounds like a plan to me!
biggrin.gif

Aug 24, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the difference between a wireless access point and a wireless bridge in this situation?

A wireless access point is accessed by the wireless clients and the wireless bridge, The wireless bridge talks back and forth with the access point and then talks to the wired clients connected to it. It doesn't talk to any wireless clients.

Essentially the wireless bridge is a dumber version of an access point and most access points can also act in bridge mode these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back