Network TV Late Night Shows
Dec 10, 2006 at 7:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Ingo

Headphoneus Supremus
Which one is your favorite? You can probably guess my favorite.

Here's how I rank them.

Conan O'Brien
David Letterman
Jimmy Kimmel
Jay Leno
Craig Ferguson
Carson Daly (I think John Daly would have a more entertaining show).

Dec 10, 2006 at 7:58 AM Post #2 of 16
Here's my ranking:

David Letterman

Conan O'Brien

The rest except Jay Leno.

Jay Leno (how anyone finds his humor appealing is a personal enigma)

I also enjoyed Craig Kilborn quite a bit and was sorry to see him go.

Dec 10, 2006 at 8:49 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which one is your favorite? You can probably guess my favorite.

Here's how I rank them.

Conan O'Brien
David Letterman
Jimmy Kimmel
Jay Leno
Craig Ferguson
Carson Daly (I think John Daly would have a more entertaining show).

This is probably how i would rank them as well. Except I would put about a hundred spaces in between Ferguson and Daly. Daly really is crap.

Dec 10, 2006 at 2:12 PM Post #5 of 16
Conan BY FAR.

Used to like Letterman but he's an old crank now. Booo.

Dec 10, 2006 at 4:45 PM Post #6 of 16
Conan is hilarious....best by far

Dec 10, 2006 at 7:31 PM Post #8 of 16
1. Late Night with Conan O'Brien (HornyManatee.com!)
2. The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (not network, not exactly a talk show, but c'mon it's great)

There are other ones?
tongue.gif

Actually I think Craig Ferguson is doing alright. He's new so he needs to polish up on some things, but he's actually a good interviewer. I thought Craig Kilborn was awful both as a late night host and as host of the Daily Show. He was much better on SportsCenter and should've gone back there.

When Letterman was the host of Late Night before Conan, he was good. Not so much now, but I still give him the respect. He should have gotten The Tonight Show gig.

Leno does a terrible monologue and is not a good interviewer either. He is also kind of insulting to guests even though he thinks it's all in good fun.

Conan has the best delivery on his monologue ("the laugh zone" lol) and he's not even a standup comedian like Leno. I like when a joke bombs and he totally owns up to it. The other guys would just casually move on, but he knows you can't hit a homerun every time so he has fun with the bad ones.

The writers on Late Night are also great. From the monologue jokes to the skits they do in between guests. And the actors for the bits are very funny.

But the writing on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart is probably the best among these kind of shows.

Dec 10, 2006 at 8:16 PM Post #10 of 16
1) Conan O'Brien
2) John Stewart
3) Jay Leno
4) Steven Colbert

I also like Ferguson - he's got a unique quirk to him that's charming. I rarely catch his show though.

I catch Conan as much as I can, and The Daily Show is a must - Colbert, not so much. Funny stuff, but too much novelty in that it really is a perpetual parody of the O'Reilly factor.

Dec 10, 2006 at 8:38 PM Post #12 of 16
I don't catch much late night since I have no interest in celebrities but I did like Letterman from what I've seen over the years. I think Conan tries way too hard on a lot of monologue, I always get the feeling that the audience wouldn't be laughing all that much if he weren't such a likeable and eccentric guy. That said, he is definitely unique, and like someone else mentioned, I like how he is self deprecative, and owns up to it whenever a joke bombs.

Catch you later,
Id

Dec 10, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #13 of 16
I like the Cone Bone.

Dec 12, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #15 of 16
In Australia we only get Letterman (plus Jon Stewart once a week - only recently started watching - very good, but the political stuff feels grim after a while).

I used to enjoy Letterman, but really, you could cull each episode down to about 2 minutes of decent material, with the rest being schtick, awkward interviews, and lame gags from the incompetent staff writers. The best bits are when Dave just sits at his desk and tells weird anecdotes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back