Network storage?
Mar 28, 2010 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Uri Cohen

Formerly known as HyperDuel
I would like to in the future start to use network storage for backup and run files from it. I know you use the Ethernet cable to connect the computer to the networking storage device but if I want to use internet thru the Ethernet I must use a router right?

I know some people do this but I want to know how this stuff is done.

I was thinking about something like this:

Newegg.com - Netgear ReadyNAS Duo 1TB (1 x 1000GB) Network Storage (NAS) w/ Gigabit & speeds up to 25MBps - Network Storage (NAS)

Mar 29, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #2 of 5
Yeah, you gotta have a router.

Internet Box (Cable/Phone modem)
|
Router --> NAS
|
Computer

If you have a stationary computer, and not a laptop, what about a single external drive? Plugs in via USB, comparable speeds, and not as much of a pain as a NAS.

Mar 29, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #3 of 5
Lots of motherboards have 2 ethernet ports these days, if so, you can just connect your modem (cable/adsl/whatever) to one, and your NAS to the other.

Getting a router allows a lot more flexibility tho, like wireless or more computers hooked up.

Mar 29, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by ascl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lots of motherboards have 2 ethernet ports these days, if so, you can just connect your modem (cable/adsl/whatever) to one, and your NAS to the other.

Getting a router allows a lot more flexibility tho, like wireless or more computers hooked up.

To extend on this, even if yours doesn't have two ethernet ports, a little ethernet card is really cheap, much cheaper than a router would be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back