Netscape 6.2, Gimme a clue?
Feb 26, 2002 at 12:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Duncan

Headphoneus Supremus
I've had enough of IE6... it now functions very erratically, so I have installed Netscape 6.2, its brilliant, loads up pages a lot quicker than IE etc etc (Its all been discussed before...)

But has anyone encountered this problem...

Quote:

MSN Chat System Requirements

MSN Chat is not currently compatible with your Internet browser and/or computer operating system.

Here's what you need to enjoy MSN Chat:

* Windows 95 or later
At this time, MSN Chat does not work on Macintosh, Windows 3.1, Windows NT 3.1, and Unix operating systems.

* &Internet Explorer 4.0 or later
You can download the latest version for free at: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie.

- or -

Netscape Navigator 4.x
To find out more, go to: http://home.netscape.com.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause. We hope you'll be joining the fun on MSN Chat soon!

Now, correct me if i'm wrong but if I have Netscape 6.2.1 then why can't I connect to chat?

I have been to the netscape website, and I cannot see anything there of any help, so... I'm just wondering if anyone here has had the same problem... and, if so - how it was solved?

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 26, 2002 at 12:16 AM Post #2 of 9
That is because Netscape 6.x has a completely different browsing engine than Netscape 4.x (which is basically the same since Netscape 2.x, not sure about 1.x since I never used that)... Mozilla is that browsing engine, and frankly, Mozilla (www.mozilla.org) is better than Netscape... Mozilla is constantly updated, Netscape uses an old version of Mozilla and bloats it up. I use IE 5.1 for Mac OS X though
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 26, 2002 at 6:56 AM Post #4 of 9
I found out the hard way that Netscape 6 is not just an update for 4.7x. It happened to replace my Communicator inbox, meaning a flush of a couple years worth of email. I wish I had taken the time in college to learn Linux.

Feb 26, 2002 at 11:16 AM Post #5 of 9
Not wanting to say anything good about MS, I liked Netscape 4.7.

Then they came out with 6, and it was/is a disaster. I don't know what they did, but I'm glad WinMe has "Restore" so that I was able to undo the damage caused when I tried to load it.

IE 5.5 works pretty well for me. I know there is another "Upgrade" to IE. Not sure I want to try it.

Netscape now seems to totally suck. AOL owns it and they still use IE as their browser.

Feb 26, 2002 at 6:30 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by gaineso
AOL owns it and they still use IE as their browser.

That pretty much sums up Netscape 6.x!
It was all downhill for Netscape since the AOL assimilation.
My favorite was 4.2

Feb 27, 2002 at 3:33 AM Post #7 of 9
Thank gawd for Opera. Highly recommended for 28.8, 36.6, 4x.x, etc.

Netscape 4.x isn't too bad, depending on the site.

Feb 27, 2002 at 3:42 PM Post #8 of 9
hmm, my last encounter with Netscape 6 was really bad, it managed to screw absolutely everything up. hell, it took a week for my comp to recover! if it works for you tho.. I wish it worked for me, not too fond of using all that Micro$oft stuff, but I must admit, IE never gave me probs.

anyway, a friend of mine uses a prog with which he can chat on MSN, without using MSN. don't knwo the name, but I bet you could find something similar on Tucows.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back