Netflix: some Dolby titles don't support Dolby via optical cable
May 9, 2013 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

vrapp

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I watch streaming video on Netflix, using LG BD670 blu-ray player, connected by optical cable to the receiver Kenwood VR509. The receiver is an older model and does not have HDMI input.

Netflix is streaming many movies with Dolby 5.1 sound. On some of those, the receiver actually switches to Dolby mode; but on the others, it does not. That is, in both cases I select Dolby 5.1 in the options of the movie, but the receiver will detect Dolby in one movie, but only stereo in another.

I called Netflix support; the representative (a supervisor) contacted their technical department and then said that this is known issue, and with optical cable, some movies are known not to be able to transmit 5.1, while some others can. According to him, it's related to some encoding, but he couldn't give more details. "We know about this problem and are working on it; for now, we recommend HDMI connection, then all movies that have Dolby 5.1, will actually play it", he said.

I'm curious, can someone explain how this is possible?

thanks

May 10, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #2 of 5
Because at the moment some of the content labeled as DD (AC-3) on Netflix is actually DD Plus (E-AC-3) which has a bit rate which is too high for Optical, some hardware can down convert E-AC-3 to standard AC-3 but this isn't happening from Netflix at the moment.

Basically you require HDMI 1.3 or greater to fully experience Netflix content at the current time.

May 12, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #3 of 5
If anyone is interested: further looking into this has resulted in admission by Netflix that some of their titles are indeed misrepresented on their webpages, i.e. their description says that Dolby 5.1 is available when it's not. Examples: "White Collar", "Numb3rs", "Doctor Who", many others.

They promised to correct.

May 12, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #4 of 5
Technically, Dolby 5.1 is available... So long as you use the hardware that they support. The point is moot however as I would immagine that it's in Netflix' interest to get AC3 on all their titles where it's available due to the fact that Optical and Coaxial digital audio feeds are still extremely popular (even in the face of HDMI's ever growing dominance.)

Jun 17, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #5 of 5
What's Netflix streaming audio quality?

Does it change from title to title?  

I've been listening to Netflix via Realtek onboard sound (yuck, I know), and was wondering what would be the best setting for streaming Netflix.  Should I just set my Realtek to 24/48?  

While I'm here, does anyone know what the audio quality of TV shows shown on TV are as opposed to being on DVD?  Are they the same?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back