Netbook ?
Jun 6, 2009 at 6:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

KingStyles

Headphoneus Supremus
Would a netbook make as good of a music server as a full size laptop? I would be only using it for a music server and utilizing its usb output to a isabellina dac. Is there is anything that I would have to have software wise besides itunes?

Jun 6, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #2 of 25
If you intend to use USB, then I don't see any difference between a netbook and a laptop. If you intend to use itunes, than that is all you need. Might want to make sure to buy a windows netbook then ><.

Jun 6, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #3 of 25
I would wait and check out the Lenovo S12. it's going to be the first to use the new Nvidia Ion chipset - fully accelerated 3d, and audio - also likely digital out - I would wait for that setup, if you can.

Jun 6, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #4 of 25
I am with 'ljokerl'. USB out should be comparable on a Netbook as on a full size laptop.
Just hook up USB, install iTunes and enjoy!
biggrin.gif

Jun 6, 2009 at 8:42 AM Post #5 of 25
Onboard netbook audio is awful, but USB or digital out would work just as well =]

Jun 13, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by taso89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Onboard netbook audio is awful, but USB or digital out would work just as well =]

My Acer Aspire One hooked up to some SE530's sound pretty good.
dt880smile.png

Jun 18, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #10 of 25
After looking around, I decided to get a hp touchscreen laptop for my music server. I have done a lot of research and pcs can give better quality audio if set up correctly over the itunes/mac configuration. Im using jriver media center with wasapi plugin which bypasses all the vista audio crap. Im also buing a off ramp with superclock upgrade to run my usb into. It should sound pretty sweet when its all done. The mac need the 1500 doller amarra software to equal this config. I decided on the full size laptop just because the larger hard drives you can get with them compared to the 160g that you tend to top out at with the netbooks. Once you add on your operating software and audio programs etc. etc. It will have eaten into that 160 quite a bit which is fine if you are doing lossy, but for lossless a larger harddrive is bennificial and having a built in burner, faster processor, and more storage are all things that made the laptop a better solution. The only thing Im giving up is a little more desk space.

Jun 18, 2009 at 10:01 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by KingStyles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have done a lot of research and pcs can give better quality audio if set up correctly over the itunes/mac configuration.

The mac need the 1500 doller amarra software to equal this config.

Care to share any of this research with us? I would like to know why a fullsize laptop's digital output via USB should be any different to a netbook's.

Jun 18, 2009 at 10:06 AM Post #12 of 25
Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think most netbooks have optical drives, which wouldn't be a problem if you have an external drive, or already have all the files ripped onto a hard-drive.

Jun 18, 2009 at 10:50 AM Post #13 of 25
A cheep netbook, external HD, foobar, asio4all, usb DAC. I think that would make a nice setup. It would be inexpensive and not take a lot of space. This does assume you have you music rippped and transferable to this as I would not want to use it for ripping!

Jun 18, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #14 of 25
You can get a cheap laptop for almost the same price as a netbook and get all the other benifits with it. I dont know about the latency of usb outputs, I wasnt the one who posted that. I did see that not all usb outputs are equal. Login
Its just something to be aware of.

Jun 18, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by KingStyles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can get a cheap laptop for almost the same price as a netbook and get all the other benifits with it.

The key benefits of a netbook in this setup are:
Price
Size
Battery life - which is the most important item.

An Asus eeepc 1000HE can last 8-9hours on battery. Meaning it can be used for a high-fidelity transportable rig (netbook + usb dac/amp), it can function as a transport in a home rig without needing to be plugged in all day, and it can be taken to meets without having to carry a power supply or adding an extra cable along the floor for people to trip over. Don't be dissuaded by the 160GB internal drive either - keep in mind this is just a notebook hard drive, and thus can be upgraded to 250GB or 320GB.

My only concern is that the USB output would somehow be inferior to that of a notebook, as per the 'latency' comment above. Does anyone have some more information on this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back