Netbook shopping
Jun 11, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #46 of 61
Allright I admit I didn't read a single full page of this thread but:
wait juuuust a little while longer. Nvidia is promoting it's ION platform like crazy, and there are manufacturers who jumped on the ION bandwagon.
What this means? You can play l4d/cod4 (though barely, instead of not at all) but most importantly: watch 1080p video.
Might be interesting to see how everything pans out.

Jun 11, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #47 of 61
I just spent about a week checking out netbooks an d finally settled on the new Toshiba NB200. Spec-wise similar to the pack but great keyboard, battery life, screen and just feels better-built than the cheapo Acers. Under 350.00 won't get one of those, but the recent HP Mini 1000s are being heavily discounted right now, and they have good screens, great KBs, decent HD size and reasonable specs otherwise. I don't think that he cheapest netbooks are worth it in the end if you're expecting to get a lot of use out of 'em -- too many compromises for the $100 or so in savings.

best,

o

Jun 11, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #48 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Pixel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wait juuuust a little while longer. Nvidia is promoting it's ION platform like crazy, and there are manufacturers who jumped on the ION bandwagon.
What this means? You can play l4d/cod4 (though barely, instead of not at all) but most importantly: watch 1080p video.

Well, since you didn't read the thread I'll sum it up for you: OP is looking for a netbook under $350. Ion pricing has only been announced on the Lenovo S12, where it is a $50 option on top of a $499 base price. It will be a LONG wait before you can get an ion netbook for $350.

Quote:

Originally Posted by orkney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the recent HP Mini 1000s are being heavily discounted right now, and they have good screens, great KBs, decent HD size and reasonable specs otherwise.

Yeah, I've looked at those. The only problem I have with them is
1) The HP name (personal dislike - bad experiences)
2) Whats up with the mouse buttons? I know that few people use them anymore, but I want to have that option. I like to press em with my thumb, and I would have to get my hand seriously twisted to reach those.

Jun 11, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #50 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Pixel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Seriously, who cares about 1080p or even 720p for that matter on a 10inch screen?

Jun 11, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #51 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seriously, who cares about 1080p or even 720p for that matter on a 10inch screen?

Obviously noone. That's why its got HDMI out so you can hook it up to your HDTV.

Jun 11, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #52 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Actually this is where netbooks can really benefit on using Ion chipsets not necessarily because it can process 1080P, but it can handle any type of videos smoothly without any lagging. As where today's netbooks are, they're not really built to handle videos that well and my friend's 1000H seem to suffer from occasional lag time to time during video playback.

Jun 11, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #53 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dell mini deal, not sure if you're interested though:

Dell Vostro A90 Netbook Intel Atom 8.9in Mini Laptop (1GB/16GB SSD) $249 Deal - Best Price Cheap Sale Items Review Wholesale Sale Discount

Great deal....but it has Linux..
And uhhh I'd take HP over Dell any day of the week.
I have my Studio 15(Dell)....3 months old from Dell Outlets(refurbished)....
I'm on my 3rd hard drive, and the frickin thing has a hard drive cable that decides to detach randomly, so I have to open the back every few days and re-attach it.

Jun 11, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #54 of 61
Ouch didn't catch the pricing. Thanks ljokerl, twas worthless advice on my part.
Just hate to see the guy/gal bummed cause of new tech.

Anyways: I'm still digging my NC10. Lovely keyboard and 7 hours of use per charge is nice to. Great for old-skool games as well. Oh yeah, excellent headphone out. That one's really something. Anyways; can't really go wrong with one (regardless of brand; they're basically the same hardware-wise), unless you're like me and miss the speed of your desktop computer.

Jun 11, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #55 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baba booey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great deal....but it has Linux..
And uhhh I'd take HP over Dell any day of the week.
I have my Studio 15(Dell)....3 months old from Dell Outlets(refurbished)....
I'm on my 3rd hard drive, and the frickin thing has a hard drive cable that decides to detach randomly, so I have to open the back every few days and re-attach it.

Sadly, most non-business class laptops are cruddy. My cousin and I have had consumer HPs, and problems cropped up quite soon.

Jun 11, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #56 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sadly, most non-business class laptops are cruddy. My cousin and I have had consumer HPs, and problems cropped up quite soon.

Yep yep. My gf's HP dv5000 had one stick of ram die when it was a month out of warranty (just over a year old). HP quoted me $60 for the part (1gb stick of DDR2-5300 SODIMM) and $130 for the labor (thats AFTER i'd already found the problem myself). I told them to go fornicate themselves with an iron rod and bought it for $15 off the egg.

I personally own a 6-year old Toshiba, 5-year old dell, and 4-year old IBM. And all 3 have gone horribly wrong at one point. Hoping my little eee will fare better. Also ASUS customer service is great imo.

Jun 11, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #57 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I've looked at those. The only problem I have with them is:

1) The HP name (personal dislike - bad experiences)
2) Whats up with the mouse buttons? I know that few people use them anymore, but I want to have that option. I like to press em with my thumb, and I would have to get my hand seriously twisted to reach those.

Yeah, the trackpad buttons are hard to get used to on the HPs, but they're a good design otherwise. I also liked the Asus 1000HE, which is going for around 349.00 or less now, and has the hybrid storage option, along with good specs and battery life. It's a very good all-rounder.

The lab I run has a fleet of Acers and, the My First Computer looks aside, they are perennially breaking down in new and alarming ways. All kinds of new-generation Acers though, and some look very good.

best,

o

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #58 of 61
I have really been searching for a netbook with minitoslink. Has anyone found one yet?

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #59 of 61
I didn't read any of the other post other than the first one, so if this was alrdy posted sorry.

If you have the time to wait till the Fall. I would wait for the reviews of netbooks featuring Nvidia's Tegra platform, which will greatly improve the power of netbooks.

Video: NVIDIA Tegra's GPU gets busy with HD video and full-screen Flash -- Intel 945GSE shrugs, kicks dirt

teg1.jpg

Also coming is the Tegra phone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back