netbook as source
Apr 3, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by parskey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had the idea of using a netbook+a usb dac as a high quality portable(stuff it all in a messenger bag) source Does this just seem silly or does it seem like a good idea?

Seems like a good idea. Just put some extra padding in the bag for your I+.
smile.gif

Apr 3, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

I have had the idea of using a netbook+a usb dac as a high quality portable(stuff it all in a messenger bag) source Does this just seem silly or does it seem like a good idea?

My netbook will overheat if left running in a bag...be careful.

Apr 3, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #18 of 21
Before I got my 1201N, I had my uDAC hooked up to my Eee PC 701_4G, with Foobar2000 & WASAPI all feeding my HD 428's.. I had 0 complaints. If I ever upgrade from my uDAC, I'll probably keep it with my 701 permanently. Would make for a nice semi mobile rig if I go to Borders or something like that.

Apr 4, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

It is a good idea but how good it sounds depends on the dac. I can HIGHLY recommend the AMB y2 with the AD8656 op amp so it can drive headphones. If you use lossless music, Foobar and the sox re-sampler plug in to resample to 48Khz, you'll get a sound that is top notch. Contact MisterX and he'll build a y2 for you. It isn't cheap but for the money it's real bargain.

Apr 4, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #20 of 21
I'm using a Samsung NC10 running Ubuntu 9.10 (it runs well, no need for NBR), mpd / gmpc with flac. I also managed to get Rhythmbox to work pretty well (by which I mean gapless playback and recognising replaygain tags). I still use EAC running under XP on a different laptop for the rips and Foobar2000 to set the album replaygain tags, I've not found anything on linux that works as well (and couldn't get them working under WINE in a manner that could be described as "usable").

The output is via USB to a PICO DAC, connected to a GS Novo amp. All works pretty well with a pair of HD 650s.

Apr 4, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #21 of 21
Although I have other laptops/desktops, I use Dell MINI 10 netbook as the primary source for my computer rig.
Why? ---> Silence. I like listening music deep into the night when the silence of the environment is pitch black.

Dell MINI 10 is fanless by design. Add a 128 GB SSD instead if the HDD it comes with and the only sounds you get from it are the electronic circuitry "talking". You can hear it whispering only if you put your ear next to the keyboard and listen carefully.

The only problem I have is that if I surf the web or use any other applications at the same time, it overheats.
But just for that I have a silent cooler - a cooling pad with crystals in it. These crystals melt at about 25-30 degrees celsius.
But if I use only Foobar (all other applications, including anti-virus are closed) it runs smooth for as many hours as you like.

One thing to take into consideration when choosing laptops/netbooks as source is the USB power supply. Some brands have more dirty 5V USB power supplies than others. (Read from a realiable source that Dell is more dirty than Toshiba for instance).
There is a simple solution to this, which I intend to apply shortly: if you use something like a modded M2Tech HiFace unit (which is fed by battery power and only uses the USB connection to get the information) you basically skip feeding power from the laptop/netbook.
If you do this, it won't matter how dirty the 5V USB power source is and basically a netbook will be just as good as the most expensive laptop/destop money can buy
wink.gif

Hope this info will be usefull to those who use computers as source for music. Don't forget to use a good DAC with the computer or almost everything else will be in vain...
k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back