Netbook as an audio source
Feb 24, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #16 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by WaveRider69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
win 7 all the way but you'll have to trim it way down if you want it to run smooth on 1gb. If you can get 2gb ram you'll be solid.

i have no problem whatsoever running xp on my inspiron mini with 1gb memory. i browse and listen from foobar at the same time. in fact more memory on xp will only give nothing to very slight performance increase.

Feb 25, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #17 of 34
I've been thinking about using a netbook as my transport too. Does anyone know if using both a USB hard drive and a USB-S/PDIF converter will cause dropouts or otherwise negatively impact sound quality?

Thanks.

Feb 25, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by laevi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been thinking about using a netbook as my transport too. Does anyone know if using both a USB hard drive and a USB-S/PDIF converter will cause dropouts or otherwise negatively impact sound quality?

Thanks.

no impact whatsoever...

Feb 25, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #19 of 34
I had an Asus Eee PC 701, and now I have the 1201N. I have/do use them as my primary home source. The 701's headphone jack was pretty on par with everything else. However, the 1201N's, seems, I dunno, better/smoother/etc.

Even with my dual core Atom 330, iTunes seemed to bog down my system any time I tried it. Currently, I use Foobar2000 with the WASAPI plug-in. I'm very happy with it. I don't even notice it running while browsing the web or playing with Photoshop.

Feb 25, 2010 at 7:41 AM Post #21 of 34
My total crapola Acer netbook works fine as a source for my D4, as it did for the Topaz before I sold it. Try to get something without the annoying fan in that POS Acer, although I didnt notice it once I put my phones on. Have used this rig in hotel rooms all over Asia - not bad for watching the odd movie either, even with the tiny screen.

Most netbooks, afaik, will have a fan - question is how load will said fan be ? My Asus made no audible noise at all, so I gave it to my (now ex) girlfriend. Dont do that.

Feb 25, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #22 of 34
hmmm.. one of my primary considerations will be to find a fanless device.
Currently I use an Apple TV which is fanless and works great, running Apple's own 'Front Row' application, but I have to have a monitor as well for this to work.
Ideally I need a fanless netbook then I can put the Apple TV back where it belongs along with the monitor.....the search goes on!

Feb 25, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by GilesM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmmm.. one of my primary considerations will be to find a fanless device.
Currently I use an Apple TV which is fanless and works great, running Apple's own 'Front Row' application, but I have to have a monitor as well for this to work.
Ideally I need a fanless netbook then I can put the Apple TV back where it belongs along with the monitor.....the search goes on!

Or get a mini touchscreen monitor + long USB extender and use it as a remote.

Feb 25, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #24 of 34
This one looks cool, if you are in the EU or can wait
ACER-1420P.jpg

"The Acer Aspire 1420P is a tablet-style laptop with an 11.6 inch, 1366 x 768 pixel touchscreen display that you can fold down over the keyboard for use in slate mode. While this form factor has been around for years, we’re just starting to see budget versions pop up. Yesterday I pointed out a handful of 10 inch netbook/tablets with Intel Atom processors. The Aspire 1420P is a little bit larger and significantly more powerful thanks to its dual core Intel Celeron SU2300 CULV processor and integrated GMA 4500MHD graphics.

The laptop isn’t available in the US yet, but Blogeee noticed that French retailer Rue du Commercis is taking orders for the laptop. It’s priced at 499 Euros, which is about $688 US. But that price will likely be much lower if and when the Acer Aspire 1420P is released in the States.

The 1420p has a 6 cell, 62Whr battery which Acer says should be good for 6 to 8 hours of run time. The laptop has 3GB of RAM, a 250GB hard drive, HDMI and VGA outputs, 802.11b/g/n WiFi, Bluetooth, and an SD card reader. It runs Windows 7 Home Premium."

Feb 25, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #25 of 34
Yeeeeeeeeeesh. A GMA4500M pushing HDMI? That's gonna bog it down a bit...

Acer really needs to start allowing customers to pick the HD size at a cost. Every time I buy a laptop or notebook, I replace the HD and sell the old one off.

Feb 25, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #27 of 34
my dell sure have fan but not a single noise. wife still deciding on my work table/cabinets and currently i stack my dac and wa6 on top of kgss (short of space). Because both dac and amp cover some of the ventilation, i use a small fan and stuck it on top of the kgss to draw the hot air out (boy this amp can be hot). Purists may think I'm crazy by introducing a source of noise, but i dont detect any noise at all. Its perfectly quiet and dark......Tell me about it.....

Feb 25, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #28 of 34
Wouldn't mind taking one of these babies out for a spin either
acer_ferrari_1.jpg

* 1.2 GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor L310
* 4096MB DDR2 667MHz Memory
* 250GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive, 802.11a/b/g/Draft-N Wi-Fi Certified
* 11.6" HD Widescreen Acer CrystalBrite LED-backlit Display, ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
* Windows 7 Home Premium, Up to 5 Hours of Battery Life

Feb 27, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #29 of 34
So, I took the plunge today and bought an Asus 1005HA netbook.
250 GB drive, Intel Atom 1.6 Ghz processor, 1 gb of RAM, WIN 7 'starter'.
It is currently copying my itunes library.
Prior to starting the copy process I verified that the DacMagic works with it (it does).
I thought I would have to load the Win7 driver for the DacMagic, but I plugged it in, it just works.

Once I have my music library (currently iTunes) will I be able to set up foobar and just point it at the same iTunes library? I do hope so!

Thanks to all of you who helped me decide that a Netbook is an appropriate purchase for what I need it to do.

Will post back tomorrow to tell you all how I get on.

Thanks....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back