Neil Young - Heart Of Gold
Jun 13, 2013 at 6:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

vkvedam

Headphoneus Supremus
Dear Fellow Members
Hope you're all doing well. As the title suggests I've got this track on both 'Harvest' and 'Greatest Hits' albums. On both the CDs this particular track clips on two occasions within the first couple of minutes. Could anyone comment on this please?
Thanks
Ven

Jun 16, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #2 of 17
I have the 'Harvest' album ripped in FLAC from a CD. I checked "Heart Of Gold" and there is no clipping. The file I have is from the 1990 Warner / Reprise Canada release. The catalog number is CD 2277.

I know there is a remastered CD version, which I think was released in 2009.

All I can think of is that perhaps you have a remastered version of the song. I think all CD versions of the song were the same until it was remastered in 2009.

Jun 16, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #4 of 17
Try to identify the time into the song of each occurrence. I have HoG (ALAC) & will listen for them, yet knowing the spots would help...

Jun 18, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #5 of 17
Thank you all for the replies. I have bought the 'Greatest Hits' in 2007 and it exhibits clipping. And I bought the 'Harvest' in 2010 but not a remaster. It clips/distorts @ 0.42/3, 0.46/7 at the right channel on both the CDs. 

Jun 21, 2013 at 6:37 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:
I have the 2009 SHM-CD release and it distorts at those exact time points. I'm not sure if it is really clipping. I also have a vinyl rip of this album somewhere and will check out.

Bad copy then. There is no distortion or clipping on the original release. Neil didn't release the song with clipping and distortion.

Jun 21, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #8 of 17
Well, been to an Apple store couple of days ago, luckily they had this track on some of their iPod/Phones. And guess what, it distorts at those two instances.

Jun 21, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:
Well, been to an Apple store couple of days ago, luckily they had this track on some of their iPod/Phones. And guess what, it distorts at those two instances.

I'm guessing that a bad digital copy of the song somehow got replicated everywhere. Interesting. I mean, the album "Harvest" was released in 1972 right? "Heart Of Gold" is just a classic Neil Young track. There certainly aren't any problems with the original track.

I'm thinking that there must be a bunch of faulty digital copies of it. My 1990 CD has no clipping or distortion.

By the way, isn't Neil Young great? Yes, he is. 
biggrin.gif

Jun 21, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

I'm guessing that a bad digital copy of the song somehow got replicated everywhere. Interesting. I mean, the album "Harvest" was released in 1972 right? "Heart Of Gold" is just a classic Neil Young track. There certainly aren't any problems with the original track.

I'm thinking that there must be a bunch of faulty digital copies of it. My 1990 CD has no clipping or distortion.

By the way, isn't Neil Young great? Yes, he is. 
biggrin.gif

Neil is great..

I listened to the vinyl version of this song. This is the original master and it still distorts/clips at those two points, although it is much less audible than when I compare it to the remaster version. I expect that the DR is lesser on the remasters than on my vinyl version.

You can send me a copy from your 1990 CD of this song and I will check it out. Just for the sake of science and fun :)

Jun 21, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:
Neil is great..

I listened to the vinyl version of this song. This is the original master and it still distorts/clips at those two points, although it is much less audible than when I compare it to the remaster version. I expect that the DR is lesser on the remasters than on my vinyl version.

You can send me a copy from your 1990 CD of this song and I will check it out. Just for the sake of science and fun :)

Done! I sent you the FLAC file of "Heart Of Gold" for your evaluation. I used the software program Audacity to check the file for clipping, and I found none. Let me know the results of your testing. 
k701smile.gif

Jun 22, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #15 of 17
My name is not John.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back