Neil Young Developing high definition audio formats.
Apr 14, 2012 at 9:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

RyanH22

Head-Fier
I read in "Rolling Stone" today that artist Neil Young has trademarked what could be new high def audio formats. Neil Young has hated mp3's, and is wanting to get "studio quality" recordings in a digital form. The names of them are "21st Century Record Player", "Earth Storage", and "thanks for listening". I wonder how these will sound if they ever see the light of day, what do you guys think?

Apr 14, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #2 of 31
i heard he was working with steve jobs on this before he passed, hopefully something comes of it! I'm excited to see what it will culminate in

Apr 14, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #3 of 31
I hope it sounds great and becomes successful! I mean those names just sound cool, I wonder what "Earth Storage" is? There is one i didnt mention which he trademarked called "SQS" or studio quality sound, that sounds like it could be great. I have a feeling it wont do well though... most kids today only want fast and easy music that is loud, they don't care if it sounds good.

Apr 15, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #4 of 31
As has already been discussed in the sound science forums, this is all pretty much one big marketing scam in order to sell 'higher-quality' files that are more expensive than ordinary files, while not sounding any different. There is scientific proof that 24 bit files don't make an audible difference.

What is nice about this whole thing is that, at least to some extent, the awareness of the problems that digital audio has will increase. The main cause of bad digital audio nowadays is the huge amount of compression used during mastering and I am hoping that initiatives like this one will make people more aware of what sounds.

Apr 20, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #6 of 31
Neil Young is a guy who does not sell out.  I trust that his actions are well intentioned and directed at improved music quality for artists, sound techies and the music customer.  What level of success he has and at what price point will be seen in time.

Apr 20, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #7 of 31
There is one i didnt mention which he trademarked called "SQS" or studio quality sound, that sounds like it could be great.

We would still depend on what artists, producers, mixing and mastering engineers decide what sounds "great". If that means over compression (or god forbid, clipping), we're still screwed.

Apr 25, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #8 of 31

We would still depend on what artists, producers, mixing and mastering engineers decide what sounds "great". If that means over compression (or god forbid, clipping), we're still screwed.

Yeah I am aware, but maybe with this high quality sound those issues would be heard to people who normally don't hear the loudness and over compression. Maybe it could start to put an end to those bad habits/marketing strategy's.

Apr 26, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #11 of 31
Are FLAC and *INSERT LOSSLESS AUDIO CODEC HERE* not good enough?

Apr 27, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #13 of 31
Apr 28, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #14 of 31
SACD specs a 50 kHz bandwidth - no real difference from 96k PCM Nyquist 48 kHz (SACD originally speced 100 kHz but the shaped noise annoyed some "audiophile" amps - provoking them into oscillation)

SACD has the potential to convey whatever "extra" you think 96 k PCM would

Users who are viewing this thread

Back