Negative side of Denon D2000/D5000
Aug 15, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #61 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
-Recessed/covered up lower midrange

-Very loose bass

-Complex passages are often compressed/smeared

D5000.

I have found the bass a bit loose, but not on all recordings I have never found any recessed lower mid, but I have found a little recessed high mid.

But the bass is not a problem I just found it very smooth and since it is so blody fast it is really great.

The thing with bad complex passages is just strange, I am a lover of Dream theater and also like other fast metal, I also like Jazz and to me the D2000 just gets better and better the faster and more advanced the music is, very fast, dynamic.

Aug 15, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #62 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How well do the K271 isolate?

Even with velour pads the isolation is top notch, I temporarily share the office with the college and haven't heard a single complaint from him, and they also block out his phone conversations almost completely. Plus auto-shutoff switch really helps when I need quickly take headphones off to speak with someone.
I spent more than an hour today, running K271S and D2000 head to head, and in the end preferred K271S by quite a margin. Of course they are Zu recabled, not sure how that will change when D2000 gets recabled. To this
biggrin.gif
or this
frown.gif
? Only time will tell.

Aug 16, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #63 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It did on the hd650, so why not on a denon?!

I use a former denon higher end cdplayer, the denon dcd 3000.
wink.gif

Not all phones are created equal, recipe that works for HD650 might not for Denon. HD650 has very capable drivers and aftermarket cable just helps them open up. Is cable a bottleneck on Denons, or that's their drivers that holding things back, questions that still need to be answered, as so far we do not have a single post reporting results of A/B comparison between stock and recabled one.
And I am a bit skeptical trusting much weeks old memory based comparisons.

Aug 17, 2007 at 12:08 AM Post #64 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even with velour pads the isolation is top notch, I temporarily share the office with the college and haven't heard a single complaint from him, and they also block out his phone conversations almost completely. Plus auto-shutoff switch really helps when I need quickly take headphones off to speak with someone.
I spent more than an hour today, running K271S and D2000 head to head, and in the end preferred K271S by quite a margin. Of course they are Zu recabled, not sure how that will change when D2000 gets recabled. To this
biggrin.gif
or this
frown.gif
? Only time will tell.

What did you prefer about the 271S? I guess this is the thread to let it all out.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dave

Aug 17, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #65 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by DDF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What did you prefer about the 271S? I guess this is the thread to let it all out.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dave

Details and tight, well textured bass. They lose in sound stage and sound smaller and more forward, but even in a smaller space I can easier pin point individual instruments and hear all their small subtleties.

Aug 18, 2007 at 11:39 AM Post #67 of 78
I know this may seem like a strange complaint, but I find the D2000's too immersive. By that I mean that when I am trying to get my work done I have difficulty focusing at times as I get lost in the music. I switch back to my HD595's and it is much better.

On another note. I still have burn-in to go, but so far I don't see the D2000's as being the best choice for rock/metal. Mids are too relaxed and does not have that punchy drive I would hope for.

That aside, I love them.
biggrin.gif

Aug 18, 2007 at 2:29 PM Post #68 of 78
I wanna add to this thread the quality control at denon is really bad a brand new pair of dennon 2000 at 300.00. shipped to me with a loose screw inside the cup and a tear in the cord pfff.It seems all the rumors are very true....

Aug 18, 2007 at 3:09 PM Post #70 of 78
i checked both out in a store today and for the price they stack up very well to the competition in terms of sound - but the make is not very good especially on the d5000. the hinge section is plastic and of thin plates. the d2000 at least is aluminium or something. for the cost difference of the two (250$ vs 500$) i think the d2000 is a much better buy. they are also much too large. for someone with a shrunken head, they dangle below my ears no matter what i do - and i am not about to wear a touque int the summer.

good looks, poor make.

Aug 18, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #71 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but the make is not very good especially on the d5000. the hinge section is plastic and of thin plates. the d2000 at least is aluminium or something.

What hinge section are you referring to? They should be absolutely the same design, spare wooden cups and thicker, pure copper cable.

Aug 18, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #73 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why copper on the 5000 cable?

http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3456.asp
Quote:

cable used is made of high purity 99.9% 7N OFC cable and employs an aluminum connector cover and a cloth mesh jacket.

D2000 uses OFC (oxygen free copper) as well but of a lower grade.

Aug 19, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #74 of 78
That's funny.....when I re-terminated my D5000's I melted the ends of the "cloth mesh jacket" to keep them from fraying. I assumed it was nylon multifiliment but apparently I was wrong!
redface.gif

[/sarcasm]

Aug 23, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #75 of 78
anyobdy find a way to mod the headband. i'd like to make it thicker so it fits better. i wrapped a nike sweatband around it and it fits better on my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back