Needs opinions on APS v3 cable for RS1
Aug 27, 2010 at 3:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kite7

Headphoneus Supremus
I have been debating for a very long time whether I should upgrade the cable on my RS1. I have been doing some reading and it seems like many people say it isn't worth awhile to upgrade the cable on a grado. Is there anyone out there that has been able to compare a APS v3 cable against the stock cable? Am I better off getting a RS1i instead of doing a AP3 v3 upgrade for my current RS1?

Aug 27, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #2 of 5
I believe there are a couple of head-fi'ers that have compared at least the APS v2 cable on RS1. RS1 and RS1i are different all together though. Read some comparison or review threads to get an understanding of what the real differences are. Vintage RS1 are said to be the best, however.

Aug 27, 2010 at 5:45 AM Post #3 of 5
what exactly are you looking to change about the sound? the APS cable can make difference but don't expect a completely different headphone. it will only highlight or improve certain qualities of the signature sound. 

i haven't tried the APS cable on RS1, but have used it on my Magnum (modified SR325i) before. the improvements were nice and subtle. i recall them being more vibrant, had a sweeter tonal warmth, and a bit of a smooth sparkle. Took the edge off a little and sounded more "musical". 

as suggested you might be better off switching variants of the RS1 like to RS1i or vintage version.

Aug 27, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #4 of 5
I'm not looking for a cable to change much of the sound. I'm hoping the cable can bring out more of the high frequency details  and improve the upper end resolution. I guess I will compare my RS1 against a RS1i in a store downtown since some have said the RS1i has crisper highs but a thinner midrange. I was curious in upgrading the cable when I saw that Larry (HeadphoneAddict) mentioned the RS1 with APS v3 being close to the realm of HP-1000.

Aug 27, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #5 of 5
the Apuresound cabling does highlight somefeatures in the headphone; i.e. Apuresound and Etys sound great. But that said, and as anotherposter pointed out, those vintage or semi-vintage RS1 headphones are really hard to beat stock out of the box.  Would be cautious changing them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back