Needing some desktop speakers for my laptop! can you help?
May 8, 2013 at 12:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jrm27

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm a big fan of this forum.  I had an account a while ago, but forgot my login info and now have just started a new account.  So, I'm new, but not "just-today" new.

Anyway... I just got a new laptop and need some good desktop speakers on a budget.  I've got about $200 (give or take a few bucks).  The primary use will be for music playback, but part of my job is video production, so I'll be using them there as well.  The place I work has a great recording studio, so I just need something that will get me in the ballpark.  For fine tuning and more intense sound work I have access to some great equipment.

Currently I am doing work with my Westone ES5, but sometimes I just don't want to have my inears in all day.  I'm looking for a 2.1 system and was looking at things such as the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1, or a Logitech system... but what might you all recommend?  Any advice would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

May 8, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #2 of 8
Have you considered over ears? They're much more portable and I believe that would be a better solution than lugging speakers around

May 8, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #3 of 8
Actually, I have some over ears that I can use as well.  When I need to be portable I just use those or my in-ears.  But for being parked at a desk all day, I wouldn't mind something that isn't attached to my head somehow.

May 8, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #4 of 8
I would suggest the Audioengine A2s, they sound real nice and if you have a sub laying around you can hook it up for some extra bass.

May 9, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #6 of 8
I think you'll have a hard time finding something for that price.

May 9, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #7 of 8
I think I will too, but at least thought I'd look and see if there were some options.

I went to the local Best Buy and listened to the Klipsch Pro Media yesterday.  I don't know if the ones at BB were totally blown or what, but they sounded really bad. very crackly, all I could hear was midrange, the "sub" had to be turned all the way up to hear anything out of it... I hope they were broken, because I've actually read some decent reviews around the web on them.  But, I won't be jumping on a set of them anytime soon.

I see that Swan gets some good traction here. Maybe I'll look into those too.

Any other recommendations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back