Needing a new portable source.
Jun 26, 2011 at 9:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Jack Western

New Head-Fier
I've hit the point where I need to change my portable source music player wise due to a combination of running out of space/mp3 player more or less dying full stop.
Sooo, I'm stuck trying to decided whether to go for an older Creative Zen Vision:M 60gb stand alone as my 30gb one could drive my headphones very nicely without extra amplification, orrrr, take the more expensive route and get an iPod Classic 80-120gb etc etc and bypass the crappy sound engine into an affordable amp like a FiiO E11.
The Creative Zen option is only about £55 for the player, plus I can always add an inexpensive amp for very little. The iPod option would be a bare minimum of about £150+ with the amp, but has the advantage of being smaller than the Zen and having as much as double space etc... I'm still unsure of which to go for, but I do personally prefer Creative sound straight out of the player. 
Opinions please :) thanks :D

Jun 26, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #2 of 8
wow! it would end up costing that much? why not buy used?

Jun 26, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #3 of 8
I would be buying used haha. Need to have a vaguely recent iPod as the batteries deteriorate horrifically quickly after a few years, unlike the Zen ones... yes, it is an odd qualm but as both my brothers have had that problem, I can see it happening to me too haha.

Jun 26, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #4 of 8
used ipod 120GB can be had for about $110-140 + $65 for a Fiio E11 or maybe even less for a CMOY and the total would anywhere form $150-200, doesn't sound too bad... although i guess it is more than the zen option.

Jun 26, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #5 of 8
iPods here are still quite expensive but are quite a common pest, while Creative Zens are becoming rarer than chicken teeth or unicorn poop but is most definitely the cheapest and most efficient option personally. Still tempted to cough up the cash for the iPod rig though...

Jun 27, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #6 of 8
yeah.. i guess though a lot depends on how much storage you actually end up needing. i don't knoiw what the SQ is like on the zen, but i guess if you enjoyerd it before then all that really matters at the point is how much storage you actually need. 

Jun 28, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #7 of 8
If you can get your hands on a droid phone, you have the makings of a superior mp3 player as the thing is essentially a hand-held computer. I have a droid phone loaded with Voodoo Control and the Neutron Audio player. Provides unbelievable sound quality and no amp needed as the Voodoo app has a headphone boost er.

Jun 28, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #8 of 8
I've found that if you get an iPod Touch and the EQu app, with enough tinkering, you can get any low impedance headphone to sound decent. I use mine with my M50s, M6s and PX 100 IIi's. All have their own saved setting, all sound good, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back