Needing a more "hip hop friendly" IEM Recommendations
Mar 30, 2017 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

3mocrash

New Head-Fier
Greetings , so over the past year my liking of music has change from jazz to more hip hop. Over the past year I have been using the all so famous Westone W60's and my goodness the sound quality is great for vocals and capturing brass instruments but the bass just isn't there for the new music i'm in to bass just doesn't hit hard enough , i'm looking for something that will give me that nice booming bass I want in an earphone. Now with that being said i'm not looking to spend another fortune on earphones this time around maybe looking to spend 350$ at most. Now I don't have a preference of driver ( BA/Dynamic ) anything that will get the job done for modern hip-hop in general but it would also be nice to have good mids and treble as well. I also am not using an amp and im using an galaxy s6 android phone just to put that out there. if you can help me out please let me know! open to all IEMs in the price range I stated. 

Apr 1, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #3 of 21
  Greetings , so over the past year my liking of music has change from jazz to more hip hop. Over the past year I have been using the all so famous Westone W60's and my goodness the sound quality is great for vocals and capturing brass instruments but the bass just isn't there for the new music i'm in to bass just doesn't hit hard enough , i'm looking for something that will give me that nice booming bass I want in an earphone. Now with that being said i'm not looking to spend another fortune on earphones this time around maybe looking to spend 350$ at most. Now I don't have a preference of driver ( BA/Dynamic ) anything that will get the job done for modern hip-hop in general but it would also be nice to have good mids and treble as well. I also am not using an amp and im using an galaxy s6 android phone just to put that out there. if you can help me out please let me know! open to all IEMs in the price range I stated. 

You might check out and read about the Campfire Audio Orion ($349, direct from mfr). It has excellent bass response, glorious mids, and extended treble. Very, very nice IEM. It's possible it could work for you. The second one is the Shure SE425. Has nice bass.and great isolation. Comfortable. You might check it out and see what you think.

Apr 2, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #5 of 21
As a hip-hop fan, I think bose earphone is good to listen to listen to hip-hop. If you want super bass, bose oe might be good but it's headphone so sound true might be other option. Or xba-a3 or xba-z5 is also a great option. They also have great bass.

Apr 2, 2017 at 2:12 AM Post #6 of 21
When you meant hip hop, would it be more bass preference? If that's the case you should find dual dynamic drivers, says JVC Twin Driver series. Bass is punchy and you can feel the pressure booming it your ears.

Our team at Calvin Pixels did review it months back, written review here

Apr 2, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #7 of 21
  You might check out and read about the Campfire Audio Orion ($349, direct from mfr). It has excellent bass response, glorious mids, and extended treble. Very, very nice IEM. It's possible it could work for you. The second one is the Shure SE425. Has nice bass.and great isolation. Comfortable. You might check it out and see what you think.

I will check out the campfire audio orion haven't really heard about them have you tried them yourself?  I'm very fond of the Shure brand and many people usually not to go for the shure's BA"s unless its the holy grail 4 driver one which I really want to try out based on what I hear about them. Bass driver subwoofer?! sheesh. in terms of bass earphones I can only say i've owned 2 ? Monster turbine Gold Pro and the senhieser momentum in ears. I actually really enjoyed The turbines but I should ,mention i had those when I was 14 im now 19 so music and sound is way subjective and the senhieser momentums I owned last year before I uprgaded to westone w60's we're okay had nice sound sound sign but not suberb wish thye would have been a bit more boomy but they did well as an all around earphone.

Apr 2, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #8 of 21
  As a hip-hop fan, I think bose earphone is good to listen to listen to hip-hop. If you want super bass, bose oe might be good but it's headphone so sound true might be other option. Or xba-a3 or xba-z5 is also a great option. They also have great bass.

I've gave bose a try but I don't necessarily like the way they fit. I haven't tried the sound true though but i've heard plenty of good about it. 

Apr 2, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #9 of 21
        I will check out the campfire audio orion haven't really heard about them have you tried them yourself?  I'm very fond of the Shure brand and many people usually not to go for the shure's BA"s unless its the holy grail 4 driver one which I really want to try out based on what I hear about them. Bass driver subwoofer?! sheesh. in terms of bass earphones I can only say i've owned 2 ? Monster turbine Gold Pro and the senhieser momentum in ears. I actually really enjoyed The turbines but I should ,mention i had those when I was 14 im now 19 so music and sound is way subjective and the senhieser momentums I owned last year before I uprgaded to westone w60's we're okay had nice sound sound sign but not suberb wish thye would have been a bit more boomy but they did well as an all around earphone.

Yes, I've heard it. Extended on top and below with glorious mids without recession. Nice stage. Really beautiful sounding and comfortable, too. A bargain at its price. I like it better than SE425. FWIW. YMMV.

Apr 4, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #12 of 21
do you have a budget? the RHA MA750 seem well suited, so does the JVC Twin Driver series, anything with a large dynamic driver. Note that I'm basing this on reviews and I don't own any of these. As a sony fan I'm eyeing the XBA-Z5, but they are a bit expensive for a curiosity buy :D

Apr 4, 2017 at 5:30 AM Post #13 of 21
  I've gave bose a try but I don't necessarily like the way they fit. I haven't tried the sound true though but i've heard plenty of good about it.

If you listen to 90s hip-hop usually, then sound true is a really good option. Or if you listen to trap and other genres, what about xba series? Xba-a3 or xba-a2 might be great.

Apr 4, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #15 of 21
I listen to a fair bit of Hip Hop on my MEE Pinnacle P1's. Albeit amped with a fiio a3 with bass switch on. 

I've only had my P1's for less than a day but I agree they thump pretty nicely with the a3 bass switch turned on. Might be able to get more with some EQ tinkering too. Even without the amp I think they sound pretty nice for hip hop so far. Listening to RJD2 right now and the new Kendrick Track sounded pretty good.

Guess it depends how much of a basshead someone is... These are sufficient for me, tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back