NEEDED: new 'phones
Jun 6, 2007 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

DeadlySpoon

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, so my previous thread about this seems to have been deleted and garnered absolutely no response...

... So I'll re-post but I'll be more specific.

I need new 'phones. One pair for at home, and one pair IEM's for biking/working out/general summer use. I have a neat pair of ATH-SJ5's, but they're starting not to cut it any more for my home listening needs. They're also a bit too warm for the summer. Plus, with IEM's, I can wear all the cool hats I'm famous for!

Well, maybe not famous, but you get the idea: I like hats.

Anyway, my budget is around $250 for the home cans, and around $100 for the IEM's.

For the home cans, I don't care open or closed, but since my SJ5's are closed I could stand to try some open ones. Grado's, maybe? I do love my Audio-Technica's though, so I'm also open to moving up their product ladder. One thing I don't want to get though is Senns, mainly due to my roommate firmly believing (without having tried anything other than some HD280 Pro's) that they're the be all and end all of headphones. So basically, anything but Senns.

For the IEM's, I have absolutely no idea. I am however curious about vModa Vibes, or however you spell that.

Right, you'll probably want to know what kind of music I listen to: it's mainly Radiohead, some instrumental or quasi-instrumental awesomeness like Explosions In The Sky, godspeed you! black emperor, Isis, and Do Make Say Think, aaaaaand some classical. Oh, and I play bass, so I'll listen to anything that has a kickin' bass line. That, and Primus.

Any suggestions?
They would be greatly appreciated.

PS I'm also looking to get an amp and a laptop sound card, but I guess I'll have to post something for those in another forum. But regardless, headphones are more important.

Jun 6, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #2 of 18
Home = AT A900? They are about $170 from audiocubes. HD280 Pro's are good, but let him know the HD650's are king as Senn's go (not including the insanely expensive orpheus). I hate peeps who think just because they have something its the best out there, noobs.

Jun 6, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 18
I know you don't want Senn, but the HD595 is a great can. Don't limit yourself just because your friend has Senn's. Also you can't go wrong w/ a Grado SR225. Beyerdynamic DT770's are another solid choice. Just buy all of them, you will sooner or later
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 6, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #4 of 18
My friend DOESN'T have Senns, though, lol... He tried the HD 280 Pro's once or twice and after reading stuff on the net about Senns he swears by them. It's probably the worst case of fanboyism I've ever seen, lol

Long story short, Senns are out. Please don't reccommend them.

AT A900 were one of my choices, but I was also looking at AT AD900, just for the sake of getting a set of open cans... How do those two compare?

Grado SR225, how much could I get them for in Canada? I remember last time I tried getting them shipped here there was some sort of stupid policy that prevented US retailers to sell here so I had to pay almost twice as much to get them from a Canadian dealer...

The DT 770 looks good too, if only for the prospect of eventually Darthing it
very_evil_smiley.gif

If I had to get just one of those though, which one would it be?
And what about IEM's?

Jun 6, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #5 of 18
Oh god those are the worst, he don't even have the product :p

AT closed cans like the A500/A700/A900 are considered to be some of the better cans closed or open in the price range you are looking for. Not a lot on here go w/ the open versions of those though. I haven't heard them so I can not comment.

SR225 are great, but if you can't get them for $175(us) then I'd prolly pass.
If you are paying 2x for those then you might as well just go w/ a AT W1000 lol.

No senn
frown.gif

So I think were down to AT A900 or DT 770, both great choices. Can't go wrong with either. If you don't plan on an amp then the A900 might be the better choice. DT 770 does really need an amp to shine.

IEM, sorry can't help there. I'm sure other will suggest good options.

Jun 6, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #6 of 18
I DO plan to get an amp as well, but I don't know where to start, lol! Any ideas, or should I post this in the amps forum?

Did anyone in here hear the AT AD900? I'm very curious about those.

IEM's, I'm pretty set on the v moda vibes, unless someone has a better suggestion.

Jun 6, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #7 of 18
at that budget?

buy some

Alessandro MS-1

AND

Senns 580 (buy used..)

Great mix!

Cheers!

Jun 6, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #8 of 18
I own both the AD900 and A900 and the AD900 is clearly the superior headphone. The AD900 is my favorite headphone in the $200 - $300 price range, I prefer it to the staples around here in that range (DT880, DT990, HD580/600, etc.. can't comment on AKGs). I think it's definitely a safe choice for you since you know you like the AT sound.

Jun 6, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #11 of 18
Yeah, it applies to the AD900, I just clicked on the AD and they're on the list. I dunno about shipping to Canada.. but it should apply, since they ship worldwide.

Jun 7, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricmat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
at that budget?

buy some

Alessandro MS-1

AND

Senns 580 (buy used..)

Great mix!

Cheers!

Well, I meant:

Alessando MS-1

AND

AT A900 (or 700 if 900 is out of the budget..)

(mind also that 900 is said to have a lack in the mids!)

Cheers!

Jun 7, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #14 of 18
After reading more on the issue, it's settled. I'm going for the ATH-AD900. Now if only my next paycheck would come sooner, lol...

I'm also thinking of getting a Total Bithead amp (they're on sale right now) to go with it... Does anyone have a better amp suggestion at that price point? I plan on using it both on the go and out of my laptop.

Cheers and thanks for all your suggestions!!

Jun 7, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #15 of 18
Thats a good solid amp, can't go wrong with it. You'll be pleased by the AD900 when you get them. Now the waiting part is the worst! I would get the amp after the cans, they will obviously sound better w/ an amp. But they don't require one as say a HD650/K701 does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back