Needed commuting headphones. Ordered Sony MDRZX110AP ZX Extra Bass
May 15, 2015 at 1:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

peskypesky

1000+ Head-Fier
I needed an inexpensive set of headphones for commuting here in NYC.  I can't use ear-buds. Headphones need to be closed, and smallish, and hopefully fold-able. So, I just ordered a set of Sony MDRZX110AP ZX Series Extra Bass. Will be using with my Sansa Clip +.

$20 from Amazon and I should have them in a couple of days. I will write a review.

May 15, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #2 of 10
If anyone has other pairs to recommend, please do.  But remember, small and closed.

May 15, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #4 of 10
  I picked up the ZX600 for 35 CAD...leaps and bounds better sounding than the 110s (IMO). They're a touch larger, no folding.

Thanks for the tip!  I'll add the ZX600's to my Amazon wish-list.

You have both models?

I like the fact that the ZX600's fold flat and also have a flat cable. Those are pluses.

May 15, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #5 of 10

Thanks for the tip!  I'll add the ZX600's to my Amazon wish-list.

You have both models?

I like the fact that the ZX600's fold flat and also have a flat cable. Those are pluses.

I had the 110s for a week or so but sold them off. No place in my collection since I still own the ZX300 and ZX600. If you can get the 600s at a good price, I think they're still worth a buy.

May 18, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #6 of 10
ok, just got the headphones from Amazon.

First impressions:
I like how light-weight they are, and the foldability.
They do feel a little flimsy, so I can imagine them not standing up to much abuse. Luckily, I have a headphone bag to put them in when they're not being worn.

I like the simple, basic black looks. Understated, classic.

The sound: 
Not amazing. But good. Maybe even very good. I'm listening to some Van Halen and the frequency balance is nice. There's a lot of punch and presence. I'm not sure if I buy into the whole "burn-in" concept, but I'll report back after listening to them for a week or so.

Summary of first impressions:
DEFINITELY worth the price I paid, and definitely recommended as a budget commuter headphone.

May 18, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #7 of 10
ok, first real negative. The hard plastic headband is not comfortable for any length of time. I will have to super glue some padding there.

May 20, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #9 of 10
I'm sorry, but how can US$20 equal "good", let alone "very good"?? Also, by "supergluing" "padding " won't the sound dynamics be effected?

Lastly, wouldn't Open phones be best in a vehicle environment where safety requires one to be sound aware of the vehicles, etc around you? Is it legal to wear headphones while driving, in your locale?

Cop: "Sir, didn't you hear the other driver "beeping"??

Headfier: No, I had my "closed" headphones on and the music turned up real loud!!

The reality is, even without headphones, blasting your music means you cannot hear 'Warning' sounds outside of your vehicle; and, in many locales it may be illegal. You, can certainly be found "at fault" by failing to heed a warning, because you couldn't hear above your loud playing music and/or using headphones!

A Public Service Announcement :wink:

Tidal HiFi
(1411 kbps flac) and
Spotify Premium
(320 kbps Ogg Vorbis); Android App; WiFi; SNGN3; USB TGO; Fiio E18 (96/24) dac/dap; Dunnu 1000 IEMs;1st World resident (Sympathies to those of lesser capabilities)

May 20, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #10 of 10
I'm sorry, but how can US$20 equal "good", let alone "very good"?? Also, by "supergluing" "padding " won't the sound dynamics be effected?

Lastly, wouldn't Open phones be best in a vehicle environment where safety requires one to be sound aware of the vehicles, etc around you? Is it legal to wear headphones while driving, in your locale?

Cop: "Sir, didn't you hear the other driver "beeping"??

Headfier: No, I had my "closed" headphones on and the music turned up real loud!!

The reality is, even without headphones, blasting your music means you cannot hear 'Warning' sounds outside of your vehicle; and, in many locales it may be illegal. You, can certainly be found "at fault" by failing to heed a warning, because you couldn't hear above your loud playing music and/or using headphones!

A Public Service Announcement :wink:

Tidal HiFi
(1411 kbps flac) and
Spotify Premium
(320 kbps Ogg Vorbis); Android App; WiFi; SNGN3; USB TGO; Fiio E18 (96/24) dac/dap; Dunnu 1000 IEMs;1st World resident (Sympathies to those of lesser capabilities)

I think you may be misunderstanding his comments.....all of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back