Need your thoughts about using M-audio Mobilepre as external sound card
Feb 5, 2009 at 6:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

hakjk

100+ Head-Fier
I'm not sure anyone here is using mobile pre to listen to music.
I recently bought Hfi 580 for my office use.
Only thing I have at office is dell computer.
I just do not want to plug Hfi-580 into the computer sound card directly, at the same time I do not want to spend hundreds of dollars.
I did do my search a little bit and found that emu 0404 is the best choice for budget dac solution.
I was thinking about getting it, but friend of mine offer me his Maudio mobile pre which he does not use anymore at very cheap price yesterday.
So, my question here is using mobilepre as external sound card for my desktop any good or get different budget sound card?
I really appreciate all your opinions and suggestions.
Thanks in advance to all.

Feb 6, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #2 of 4
I'm listening through one right now. The headphone out is okay. I don't find that much difference between it and my Nuforce Icon. One thing is, it's about 8x the size of the Icon. I don't think you can call it "audiophile," but if the price is right probably it's a good buy from a bang/buck perspective. It is quite a lot nicer than Dell's standard soundcard and is transportable.

I would at least consider the Nuforce Icon as it's just over $100 and it fits in your pocket.

I called tech support for M-Audio once to find out what DAC chip was in it and what the specs were for the HP out. The guy said, "Uhhh...." Not encouraging.

Feb 7, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for sharing your experience. I guess mobile pre is not a good choice.

Feb 7, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by hakjk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for sharing your experience. I guess mobile pre is not a good choice.

Yes, it isn't.

By the specs, only 16-bit resolution supported and SR max is 48kHz. Also, SNR/DR/THD are all 'bout on the same level (weak) as what these are on integrated sound systems.

Quote:

sampling rates (kHz):8, 9.6, 11.025, 12, 16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, 48
frequency response:+/-0.8 dB, 20Hz to 20kHz
signal-to-noise ratio:-88dB, A-weighted
dynamic range:88dB, A-weighted
THD:0.013% (-78 dB) @ -1dBFS, 1kHz
USB recording:16-bit/44.1kHz > 2-in/2-out
16-bit/48kHz > 2-in/2-out

jiitee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back