Need your opinion on this optical cable
Aug 11, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #2 of 5
It seems decent but can't be sure because there's not much info on the page. If the price is right, give it a try.

Take a look at the optical cables on MonoPrice though. They have quality products and they're cheap too.

Aug 11, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #4 of 5
LOL!!! That's ridiculous! They actually market it as "Gold plated Pins for less loss." It's an OPTICAL cable, not an electrical one. The plating of the tip has nothing to do with the quality of the signal.

5 meters is close to the maximum operating range of TOSlink. You may want to buy a cable with real glass or multistrand. Though these are hard to find, as most sellers are clueless about the material the optical cable is made of. They look at it, see that the plugs are gold, and advertise it as "high quality gold cable".

I found this, which is said to have a glass core. http://www.ebay.nl/itm/Cable-Talk-Optical-Toslink-5-metres-/260771073778 But who knows if it's actually the case. You might want to ask the seller where he found the information. The picture is too low resolution to be readable.

Edit: Though the large radius the cable is stored in might be a clue it's glass. If the cable is pictures in a very small radius, like this, then it can't be glass.

Aug 11, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for the MonoPrice but I live in holland and shipping is a little high, the cable KimLaroux suggested is also a little pricy so for now I'll probably buy a cheap cable on eBay. But thanks for the ideas!
If anyone else has a good and cheap cable for me I like to hear it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back