Need Your help to choose a DAC
May 4, 2010 at 11:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

frenshprince

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there,

I'm loocking for a DAC to use with my laptop, and I'll really apreciate your help.

It's for listening Music (only flac) with Album-Player from My Macbookpro.
It's a laptop but I use it as a desktop, So the DAC can be a desktop one.
I would like one with USB and optical, even if I don"t know which one is better from the MBP.

My budget is arround 300$.

Thanks for your help
smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #3 of 7
I think discrete DAC would be nice.
I'm reading the forum, and seeing the DACmagic seems quite loved.

Maybe an option.

May 5, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #4 of 7
I currently have a zhaolu 2.5c dac. I bought it used for ~$100. I upgraded the opamps, and compared it head to head with an Arcam CD73 player. It was nearly indistinguishable. I am now looking to try an Audio-GD Dac-19. This is going to run me ~$700, so I am hoping for a nice step up in sound quality. I only mention this because something like the zhaolu or the zero might be good enough. I know if I wasn't addicted the Zhaolu would be just fine for me. I run optical out of motherboard into the Zhaolu.

May 5, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #6 of 7
iBasso D10. It has optical input and you can roll opamps for your desired flavour. And it's an amp to boot!

I will also recommend the NOS Moodlab Concept dac. Used it can be had for about $150, and it sounds awesome.

Hope this helps! Oh, and sorry about your wallet
wink.gif

May 5, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #7 of 7
If you have an amp, the Gamma2 would blow most of these other choices out of the water.

A D10 with a topflight kit (do a search on Head-Fi) is a decent DAC/Amp aswell, really good for it's portability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back