Need Your Help (Sub 100$ Choice)
May 11, 2009 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

RunOfTheDill

New Head-Fier
First post so I hopefully I don't embarrass myself. I'm in no way a audiophile. I have always had entry level headphones from shure, only been about 8 years now but I have had shure e2's and now the SE110's which im having problems with, fizzling out in the left but that is not of concern here and they are still under warranty so all good.

Out of nowhere the other day I decided I wanted a nice set of headphones to accompany my earbuds. First person I asked was a good friend of mine who I believe has Grado SR-325i's and he pointed me to a few things:

Sony V6
AKG k 450
AKG K 414
Grados SR80

But he said that the sr80's would not be my best option if i'm planning on using these in the outside world, like airports, bus stations, said they are probably not gonna work for me because of the open ear design. The grados were what I leaning to until he said this.

So now it leaves me with the two akg's, I can't really find the 445's and the 414's I can grab for around 60$. The 445's are a lot sexier looking but I would need to find somewhere to import them from.

The V-6's from what I understand are a great pair of phones but there are things a lot better out there that can be had for the same price.

So, what should I consider, I listen a lot of different kinds of music. Anything from spoon, belle and sebastian, animal collective, decemberists to things like WuTang, Nas, Johnny Cash, ELO, Sigur Ros, just about everything. These are to accompany my SE110's. I am trying to stay sub 100 and even though the grado's aren't closed ears, i keep getting drawn to how badass I think they look. Thanks.

May 11, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #2 of 24
There are many people here (most) who believe that open headphones sound better than closed. I would suggest that since you already have some IEMs for portable it may be a better option (depending on how much you use your headphones at home and other quiet places) for you to in open if the Grados are the ones you like, and use your IEMs outside.

May 11, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #3 of 24
thank you. I was already considering the sr-80's but thats the thing, i very rarely use my headphones in quite areas, I always listen to my phones on the walk to class, waiting for classes to begin so noisy hallways, and while going about anywhere that doesn't require a drive. Hmm, you gave me even more to think about. You make a good point seeing how I have the se110's.

May 11, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by RunOfTheDill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sigur Ros

Awesome.

But, on topic: A lot of people aren't audiophiles until they start listening to audiophile gear. I was fine with my JVC sport buds until I got my PortaPros, which I was fine with until HD650s. Now I'm not content with anything under $100, lol.

And V6es are really a controversial pair, some people love them, some hate them.

Do you never just sit and listen at home? (AKA a quiet place)

May 11, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #5 of 24
Personally, I find that open headphones>closed headphones>IEMs in a given price range. If you really aren't going to be using the headphones in a quiet place, then you don't want open. With my open DT990 I can't hear my music much with them in noisy places unless my music is blaring, which bothers the people around me. I have never used Grados, but have heard that they leak a lot, so they probably won't be good for loud places. Also, if you only spend limited time in quiet places, its really not worth it to buy open even if they sound better because you want your headphones to be a purchase you'll use often (until head-fi really sucks you in that is
biggrin.gif
)

May 11, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #6 of 24
yeah, i don't set around a lot at home and just listen to music. Usually just grab the laptop and listen through a couple usb speakers. The only time I really focus on listening to music, is when im out of the house never in quiet spots like airports and college hallways which I scheduled bad again so Ill be sitting in them at least an hour a day with headphones on. It seems like from the last two posts we knocked the open grados' out which I think look so badass looking. So, what are we with now?

Lets not mistake, I'm not an audiophile with music isn't a big passion. I have about 300 gigs of music and must of it isn't even a high quality, must 256, so my itunes is quite full.

I really don't like the way v6's look, look kind of bulky so lets just take them out.

Right now i'm only considering
AKG k414 or
AKG k450 if i can find them.

edit-from what i said, are the 80's out of the question? As you can see, I'm really drawn to them.

May 12, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #9 of 24
i really like the v6 myself, i don't use it often, but it still bring me smiles everytime i wear it. it has an easy to listen, pleasing sound. only complain is that the bass isn't of the best quality (it's prob why they aren't worth more IMO).

May 12, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #11 of 24
The rx900 leaks a little more sound than the rx700. Since it's more open, it's a got a wider soundstage, and a little more bass. I've never used headphones that are truly open, so I don't know how much it leaks in comparison. Last time I checked, the rx900 was the only one in stock anywhere in the US. The rx700 is stellar because when buy.com had it for $33.99 + free shipping, there was no other closed headphone that came close to its value. The rx900 for $69 at Newegg is still a steal in my opinion, but I'm new to all this.
smily_headphones1.gif

They're both pretty bulky, so you can't be too self-conscious if you want to wear them in public.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back