*Need Your Help* Soundcard or usb DAC? (pre-amp)
Mar 8, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed. You might have wanted to go with a less expensive card to use for a S/Pdif link...
There is also devices such as the M2Tech Hiface which many around here give great feedback about, that can be use for S/pdif link to external DAC's.
Watch if you go for a USB DAC as some of them use an older receiver unit and are limited to 16/48 other offer full comptibility for the various bit depths and frequencies.

So you wouldn't recommend the Xonar for a pre-amp? I was thinking about using the Xonar for now as both a pre-amp to my meier corda headfive to headphones AND directly connecting my speakers to the soundcard. Well, at least for now.

Also found a used Magic DAC for around 360 dollars where I live (Korea). Should I just return the Xonar and buy that instead? I can't afford both.

Mar 8, 2010 at 7:31 AM Post #17 of 20
The xonar would work and sound quite good as a preamp. Remember though that sound is subjective. No one can guarantee that anything will sound perfect or horrible to you. We were just saying that if your reason for buying it was the s/pdif out and not for a preamp, then there are cheaper alternatives.

Do you already have the sound card? If so, can you return it after you open it? If that is the case you could listen to it and see if you like it as a dac/preamp. If you don't like it then return it and get an external dac.

Mar 8, 2010 at 7:49 AM Post #18 of 20
15% restock fees for open returns; I am guessing he bought it from NCIX (famous among us Canadians, and local to him).

If you have an older sound card, it can be a good spdif transporter, as of I did.

Mar 8, 2010 at 9:22 AM Post #19 of 20
I just moved to Korea a few months ago, I actually bought it off a vendor in Seoul. Quite a bit more expensive here actually. Ended up being about $280 USD including tax. Not sure if they take open products.

Mar 14, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #20 of 20
Well I've decided to try out the STX as a pre-amp, have RCA speaker out from the STX to my Meier Corda Headfive Amp. The problem is that I find the STX sound sig analytical and a bit over-extended in the high's. Which would have been fine with a warm sounding cans, but with my K701 it's a bit too harsh. Should I sell my STX for a DAC or are there any opamp options available to make it sound a bit warmer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back