Need your help choosing my next set of cans =)
Oct 28, 2008 at 11:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Mysta Rave

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone, I'm new posting to the forum but I have been reading it for quite some time. I currently own a pair of Senn HD201 and a pair of CX 300 (got these when they were new, great headphones).

I bought the HD201 to try out whether or not I will like the circumaural design because I was used to in ear headphones. Needless to say, I love some aspects and others...not so much. The HD201s in particular are nothing to write home about. They're plasticky and sound crappy for most of my music. The bass crackles and they often sound tinny. They do shine in one department...they play Andrea Bocelli reallly really well and they're light and decently comfortable. Volume on them sucks as well, especially low from my laptop. Point being, for $20, I can't complain. Had I paid more for them, I would definitely be complaining!

CX300s are wonderful and versatile, however I want something circumaural with sound quality that meets and exceeds that of the CX300s. They have great bass and are one of the best headphones I've heard thus far, which probably doesn't say much because I don't have much to compare to.

Long story short, I'm looking for headphones that cost less than ~$125. I listen to Rock, House/Trance, a little rap, Chillout/Newage (Thievery corporation and enigma type stuff), and sometimes things with vocals like Andrea Bocelli and such. I guess I need a versatile headphone. I will be using it plugged into my laptop and creative zen mp3 player. I recently bought a Fiio amp but I dont want to HAVE to use this for them to sound good. I also sometimes plug them through my desk shelf system through aux (often did this with the HD201 because the volume was terribly low).

I want the feel the bass (like in the CX300s if not better) and want the headphone to be well rounded (no pun intended haha). Although $125 isnt much for you audiophiles, I consider it to be a lot of money for a pair of headphones and I would expect an exceptional listening experience. I have been looking into the Grado SR80, the Sennheiser 280, Beyerdynamic DT770 and other headphones within that range. I mostly listen to mp3s with so-so quality and stream Pandora, etc. I don't know if that makes a difference in headphone choice.

Thanks for any help!

darthsmile.gif

Oct 29, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #3 of 9
Ho ho ho, an upgrade from CX300s. Like most of us here, probably.

I'm going to say...Denon AH-D1001. Great for most of the genres you listed, except probably the Bocelli; very comfy; closed so as not to bug others around you; and $80.

Edit: Damn, 1Time beat me to it.

Oct 29, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for the suggestions so far, I'm researching the Denon 1001s right now. I also forgot to mention that I dont want to have to crank up the volume high to hear the bass/good sound quality in the headphones.

Oct 29, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #5 of 9
How much should the Denons cost? I'm seeing the silver AH-D1001 for $72.99 (slightly less than the price Jonathan wrote) and the AH-D1001K for $149.99....more than double the price! (both on Amazon) Is there really this much of a price difference for color?

Oct 29, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mysta Rave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much should the Denons cost? I'm seeing the silver AH-D1001 for $72.99 (slightly less than the price Jonathan wrote) and the AH-D1001K for $149.99....more than double the price! (both on Amazon) Is there really this much of a price difference for color?

The silver D1001S should cost about $81 shipped. The black D1001K should cost about $90+ shipped.

Oct 29, 2008 at 7:39 AM Post #9 of 9
On the plus side, the ES7s are smaller and better looking. Much, much, much better looking.

On the down (minus? negative?) side, most people seem to prefer the D1001s SQ-wise. People are also divided on the isolation issue, some saying the ES7s isolate well (read: much better than the D1001s), others saying that both isolate poorly.

Disclaimer: I've never experienced the ES7s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back