Need wired headphones for TV to drown out medical equipment....
Oct 22, 2018 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

atwnsw

New Head-Fier
Hi Everybody,

I have Cystic Fibrosis and use a medical device daily to help clear the congestion in my chest. While doing so, I like to watch TV as a distraction and have been using a pair of Sony MDR-V6 for this purpose. Unfortunately, several things happened at once.

1) My TV provider switched from standard cable to digital cable requiring my using a digital box. For reasons unknown, this has resulted in a significant volume increase in my existing headphones necessitating a new set of headphones that has adjustable volume control. The volume on the TV and Cable remote allows me to adjust the speaker volume on the TV but has no impact on the headphones. I need a headphone with adjustable volume control so that I can turn down the volume.

2) I am fine with a wired solution so that I don't have to deal with charging/replacing batteries given that I am using these headphones 2 hours every day.

3) In a perfect world, the headphones would have active noise-canceling capabilities to help minimize my hearing loss which I am starting to experience. The noise of my medical equipment is the equivalent of a power drill running. Otherwise, I would consider passive headphones as an alternative.

4) I find over the ear headphones to be most comfortable as I am continuously getting up during my treatments and have to stop/start frequently.

5) Budget - $300 or Less

The quality of the sound is not important since I am watching TV in a loud environment. Protecting my hearing by canceling the medical noise and being able to adjust the TV volume on my headphones is most important.

If you go to this video on youtube and fast forward to the 6:00 minute mark, you will understand the equipment that I am using.

Thanks in advance for any/all input.

Anthony

Oct 22, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #3 of 7
It might help if you list what kind of TV you have, that way we can look up the manual, etc. I believe most new TVs have optical out only, no analog.

I agree with PurpleAngle that it might be more practical to get an inexpensive DAC and/or amp, depending on your TV.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #5 of 7
It might help if you list what kind of TV you have, that way we can look up the manual, etc. I believe most new TVs have optical out only, no analog.
I agree with PurpleAngle that it might be more practical to get an inexpensive DAC and/or amp, depending on your TV.

Hifimediy sells a DAC with an optical input, chances are the TV or cable box has an optical output jack.
This Hifimediy DAC comes with optical input, volume knob and a headphone jack.
https://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs?sort=p.price&order=ASC&limit=25

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #6 of 7
The TV is old and on its last leg so not worth buying a system based on that TV model.

The cable box has both optical output and analog (red/white) outputs.

I like the idea of combining a solution with Bose noise canceling headphones, ideally one that included a volume control on the headphones themselves.
The link which you provided on Amazon mentions one set for Apple and another for Android/Samsung. Which should I buy?

If I go with this option, I would need an extension cable for the 3.5mm connection from the to the headphones to reach from the cable box to my chair.

Oct 22, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #7 of 7
The TV is old and on its last leg so not worth buying a system based on that TV model.

The cable box has both optical output and analog (red/white) outputs.
I like the idea of combining a solution with Bose noise canceling headphones, ideally one that included a volume control on the headphones themselves.
The link which you provided on Amazon mentions one set for Apple and another for Android/Samsung. Which should I buy?
If I go with this option, I would need an extension cable for the 3.5mm connection from the to the headphones to reach from the cable box to my chair.
Audio cables.
https://www.monoprice.com/search/index?keyword=11021365.html&menuDisStr=Audio-Cables&rows=100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back