need watch advice -- which to buy?
Sep 21, 2008 at 7:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

AndrewG

CAUTION: Incomplete trades
Aka: Boxboxbox
So I have a gift certificate around $600 at amazon, I want to buy 2-3 nice watches, after browsing briefly on amazon, I found some watches that look nice to me. I prefer black, classy watches, black band... maybe I would get one casual one and one very nice one. I don't know anything about watches, so if anyone is an aficionado, please point me to some that may be 'better' than these, I am not set on these.

To make a headphone analogy, something like Shure E530 IEM version of a casual watch, and a fancy watch which is more like the Grado RS1. Let me know your thoughts!

Amazon.com: Seiko 5 Automatic XXL All Black PVD Dive Watch Japan Model: Seiko: Watches

Amazon.com: Citizen Ec Men's Chronograph Canvas Watch #AT0200-05E: Watches

Amazon.com: Seiko Men's Chronograph Watch SND729: Seiko: Watches

Sep 21, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #2 of 25
Sep 21, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #7 of 25
Oh for Chronos sake, I'm going to be sick all over my shoes. You're going to squander a perfectly good gift certificate to get lots of crap? What the hell is Scratch Resistant Hardlex? OK, I just put "Hardlex" into google images and all the thumb nails were piles of crap. I'd be embarrassed to give a homeless person the time. Those are little boys watches.

tongue_smile.gif
wink.gif

Seriously, get and automatic and a sappharrie crystal. These guys are probably not AD's, but I'd do it anyway. Kick up the extra bill and get something worth it.

Amazon.com: Oris Men's TT1 Titan Diver Strap Watch 73375338454RS: Oris: Watches

Amazon.com: Oris Williams F1 Team Day Date Steel Black Mens Watch 635-7560-4164MB: Oris: Watches

Amazon.com: Oris Williams F1 TT2 Stainless Steel Mens Watch 635-7560-4161RS: Oris: Watches

Amazon.com: Oris Williams F1 Automatic Strap Watch 63575954164RS: Oris: Watches

Oris - Purely mechanical Swiss watches.

[size=xx-small]Disclaimer: I have an Oris. I'm totally biased.[/size]

Sep 21, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh for Chronos sake, I'm going to be sick all over my shoes. You're going to squander a perfectly good gift certificate to get lots of crap? What the hell is Scratch Resistant Hardlex? OK, I just put "Hardlex" into google images and all the thumb nails were piles of crap. I'd be embarrassed to give a homeless person the time. Those are little boys watches.

tongue_smile.gif
wink.gif

Seriously, get and automatic and a sappharrie crystal. These guys are probably not AD's, but I'd do it anyway. Kick up the extra bill and get something worth it.

Amazon.com: Oris Men's TT1 Titan Diver Strap Watch 73375338454RS: Oris: Watches

Amazon.com: Oris Williams F1 Team Day Date Steel Black Mens Watch 635-7560-4164MB: Oris: Watches

Amazon.com: Oris Williams F1 TT2 Stainless Steel Mens Watch 635-7560-4161RS: Oris: Watches

Amazon.com: Oris Williams F1 Automatic Strap Watch 63575954164RS: Oris: Watches

Oris - Purely mechanical Swiss watches.

[size=xx-small]Disclaimer: I have an Oris. I'm totally biased.[/size]

I second going with an automatic and sapphire crystal. Oris makes GREAT watches and are priced well under their value and my opinion.

Here is the Oris Diver I own (Carlos Coste Limited Edition Chronograph):

Oris8.jpg

Oris3.jpg

Or, try an Ocean7. They are swiss made high quality divers at a price way below what you get from a BIG name company with lesser quality:

LM-6C1.jpg

LM-6C2.jpg

Sep 26, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #10 of 25
Sep 26, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #11 of 25
Why not save up and put it towards a single timepiece that you can keep for all of your lifetime, and pass down to your child in the future? I've inherited my dad's Rolex Datejust and it already has a significant amount of sentimental value already....

Sep 26, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #12 of 25
That seiko 5 is snazzy but sells for $250-$300 on ebay all day long from reputable sellers.

And yes, the guys in singapore selling seikos on ebay are considered rock-solid reputable oldschool good guys by watch geeks.

I, for one, as the owner of at least a dozen watches, can agree with the concept of buying 2 or 3 nice ones. It's just a shame to be limited to amazon.com.

Sep 26, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by iakonafuji /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not save up and put it towards a single timepiece that you can keep for all of your lifetime, and pass down to your child in the future? I've inherited my dad's Rolex Datejust and it already has a significant amount of sentimental value already....

My parents have said that if I graduate with a first or second honor from uni, they'll buy me an IWC of my choice (up to a certain price limit of course
wink.gif
)

Sep 26, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My parents have said that if I graduate with a first or second honor from uni, they'll buy me an IWC of my choice (up to a certain price limit of course
wink.gif
)

Portofino Automatic
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back