Need Vin: 4-6V, Vout: 5.2V, buck-boost? Any Suggestions
Jan 2, 2007 at 12:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

velmeran42

Head-Fier
Ok, so this isn't really audio related, but I bet someone here might have a good idea how to do it.

I want to make a unit that takes 4 x AA batteries (4-7V cumulative) and outputs a regulated 5.2V hooked to a standard USB jack. This would be primarily for use with my Nintendo DS (for when I'm using my EZ Flash 4 and moonshell), but possibly would be used to charge other USB devices.

I know I could build a circuit using an LM3478 or the like, but that would require lots of other components, and making a PCB.

Can anybody suggest a solution that won’t require external inductors/MOSFETS, and has a low part count?

Thanks for the help.

Jan 2, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #2 of 4
If you have to build something yourself you could build something based on the TI REG101UA-5 or REG102UA-5 regulators. The USB jack out of your computer actually outputs 5Vdc and these regualtors are used in some designs like the Alien Dac to regulate that voltage.

A homemade charger will probably not work for you however! The nintendo DS has special circuitry in it that will only allow it to work with nintendo specific chargers! Im sure there is a way to hack this but I would need the schematic to your Nintendo DS.

And as to your original concern about not using a PCB. Do you plan to make this on perf board or something? Do you have the pinout for the usb jack on your Nintendo DS? There are 5 cables in a usb jack...do you know which wires you need to use??? (Ill give u a hint...Pin 1 is DC+, anymore and its gunna cost ya...lol).

I though you ME types hated this electronic stuff.....i usually see you guys when you come to our lab to steal our Flukes....hehe

Jan 2, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by picklgreen
...you could build something based on the TI REG101UA-5 or REG102UA-5 regulators....

If I were planning on always using Alkalines and not getting all the juice out of them, yeah, plus I would only be able to pull 250mA.

Quote:

The USB jack out of your computer actually outputs 5Vdc and these regualtors are used in some designs like the Alien Dac to regulate that voltage.

Yep, like my AlienDAC

Quote:

A homemade charger will probably not work for you however! The nintendo DS has special circuitry in it that will only allow it to work with nintendo specific chargers! Im sure there is a way to hack this but I would need the schematic to your Nintendo DS.

The charging circuitry is in the unit, the adapter is just a standard wallwart, not a smart charger. I already have a USB -> DSLite retractable cable. I just want the portable power source to charge off of when I don't want to carry a laptop and plan on needing the power.

Quote:

And as to your original concern about not using a PCB. Do you plan to make this on perf board or something?
I though you ME types hated this electronic stuff.....i usually see you guys when you come to our lab to steal our Flukes....hehe

I don't mind PCBs in the slightest but I really, really don't want to have to take the time to make a board layout, send it out, and wait for a board to come back my way. Since a SEPIC DC-DC converter would require SMD components I'd have to use a board, so.....

A friend (EE major) is throwing a Vishay FX5545G006ADJPI my way. It's a nice little integrated boost converter. It will limit me to using nimh batteries, but that was my primary intention to begin with. I won't actually need any board, I can just P2P it and slap it in an Altoids tin.

Many of the ME types don't like going near electronics, but I'm not a run of the mill ME. I have pretty decent programming, electronics, and other skills to round out my skillset.

Thanks for the input, but unless someone can point me towards an easy to implement buck-boost / SEPIC solution, I'll just take the boost converter and make sure it's only fed nimh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back