Need USB cable. Does USB cable make a differences
Jul 31, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #76 of 173
This has been said like 3 times before, a bus powered DAC is more or less (depending on how good it is) susceptible to USB power noise (depends on the motherboard, PSU). No fancy audiophile cable is gonna fix that. But nobody's disputing that power isolation can be helpful in some cases, though personally I'd tackle the noise/susceptibility problem directly.

The isolator you posted is more of a device than a simple USB cable. It is also fairly cheap compared to the expensive crap some companies sell.

Still, an USB cable audiophile would argue that the cables to and from the isolator box in the middle are of low quality and you have to upgrade those cables to "get the most out of your system" (I love that one). That's what this thread is about.

Jul 31, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #77 of 173
If it cost $270 instead of $27 it would still work.  Which 1's and 0's account for my computer noise?  Ok I didn't know this thread was about Silver USB cables with higher conductivity.

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #78 of 173
Quote:
This has been said like 3 times before, a bus powered DAC is more or less (depending on how good it is) susceptible to USB power noise (depends on the motherboard, PSU). No fancy audiophile cable is gonna fix that. But nobody's disputing that power isolation can be helpful in some cases, though personally I'd tackle the noise/susceptibility problem directly.

EMI issues are taken care of in the design of components, and companies that provide USB controllers also provide reference designs for best noise immunity.
Take a look at this document: http://www.ti.com/sc/docs/apps/msp/intrface/usb/emitest.pdf. There's a checklist at the end. The requirements for appropriate EMI immunity is pretty small for cables.

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #79 of 173
@proton007: Well I agree, but there's still some very bad USB implemenations with noisy power out there. A super duper silver cable with blue color or shrink tubing won't help that though.

Quote:
If it cost $270 instead of $27 it would still work.  Which 1's and 0's account for my computer noise?  Ok I didn't know this thread was about Silver USB cables with higher conductivity.

Sure. You can spend that amount of money on a simple device that doesn't fix the real problem, or just get a pro audio interface with async USB, balanced in and outputs, separate power supply, more than 2 channels, pre-amps ...

It really comes down to weighing how much each component can improve overall sound, and if you want to put digital cables (not including isolators) on that list they are still at the very bottom just above completely pointless tweaks. I wouldn't spend more than a few to a couple of bucks (depending on your total budget) on any USB cable.

Jul 31, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #80 of 173
What institution gives you the authority to make assertions like that?

This cable http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=122 makes such a clear difference to certain systems, i.e. internal computer noise, that it's not even worthy of a blind test, that'd be like blind testing pizza and pancakes, no one does it since no one cares.

That PIECE(not cable) only helps bus-powered DAC. Again, why don't you install internal audiophile cables into your computer?

Jul 31, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #81 of 173
Quote:

It really comes down to weighing how much each component can improve overall sound, and if you want to put digital cables (not including isolators) on that list they are still at the very bottom just above completely pointless tweaks.

Yes, that is true.  You should invest available finances on the "ultimate / total" system first, such as Tesla T1, AKG K1000, favorite expensive speakers, whatever, then DAC, then amp, then cables if you really want to.

The cables shouldn't cost a lot more than what Silver strands and Teflon tubing costs per 10,000 kilometres, divided by the length of your cables, plus RCA / USB jacks, plus 200% to the manufacturer / retailer.

Today, I think it's more like the manufacturer is running at 750%, and the retailer at 1500%, so when you walk into any Hi-Fi store, the first thing they want to sell is cables, cables, cables, cables, cables, cables, and say "No, the speaker / TV isn't very important... you need a $200 HDMI cable or the TV won't look good".

I don't think it's your job to fix that situation, it's politicians, fair trade unions, and so forth.  You just need to let them know. :wink:

Jul 31, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #83 of 173
Quote:

I don't think it's your job to fix that situation, it's politicians, fair trade unions, and so forth.  You just need to let them know. :wink:

Some retailers and manufacturers are just satisfying demand no matter how dubious.

Jul 31, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #84 of 173
Well maybe someone can establish a non-profit organisation / NPO making audio cables then, that would remove all the demand.

Jul 31, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #85 of 173
Funny and sad at the same time. :-/

Jul 31, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #86 of 173
Quote:
cables, cables, cables, and say "No, the speaker / TV isn't very important... you need a $200 HDMI cable or the TV won't look good".  

If one waits for politicians or trade unions to DO anything, you'll need 3 lifetimes!

Reading and learning are cheap and easy to do.

Jul 31, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #88 of 173
This thread has really jumped the shark.  How did it go from - Is a USB cable going to improve my sound - to, politicians are all crooks?

Not that staying on track would solve anything.  This question has played out on thousands of forums, including this one, since at least 2007.  You're not going to convince the engineers to try it or the audiophiles not to try it.

Jul 31, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #90 of 173
This thread has really jumped the shark.  How did it go from - Is a USB cable going to improve my sound - to, politicians are all crooks?

Not that staying on track would solve anything.  This question has played out on thousands of forums, including this one, since at least 2007.  You're not going to convince the engineers to try it or the audiophiles not to try it.

I find this incredibly insulting. Being an audiophile does not preclude one from being educated.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back