Need two recommendations -- a cheap/budget set of headphones and a midrange ($300ish?) for gaming only.
Apr 8, 2023 at 2:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Shyatic

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I have the DT990s Pros right now, but given the cable isn't removable I am thinking it may be a good idea to give this one to my oldest son and upgrade my own.

Also, I need a good (preferably open back so they hear me yellin!) set of headphones that are inexpensive for my younger son, again preferably with a detachable cable.

There will be headphone amps in both cases as my kids have a powered mic with a built-in amplifier, and I use a Wave XLR for my mic/headphones.

Thanks for any ideas!

Apr 8, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #2 of 5
Does your younger son appreciate audio? I bought my nephew a Sundara and he was like, "Thanks, what's this?" And his mom soon after replaced them with Beats.

Apr 8, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #3 of 5
Does your younger son appreciate audio? I bought my nephew a Sundara and he was like, "Thanks, what's this?" And his mom soon after replaced them with Beats.
Well nobody in my household would buy beats :)

He appreciates good gaming sound, and plays overwatch and Roblox etc, so want him a pair of cans that is decent for the money.

Apr 9, 2023 at 1:44 AM Post #5 of 5
For gaming I'd go with the Beyerdynamic DT880 250 ohm if you have some power for them. Really comfortable and not bass heavy so explosions don't drown everything out. I have the Final E500 IEM's and they're really good with the Soundblaster X1 in 7.1 mode for games. They make a Final VR3000 which is even better for directional audio. If you can get a used Audio Technica ADH1000X for under 300 beans, those are amazing for games. There's no headphone including the HD800s where I could hear behind me as well as a big passive soundstage. They're literally tuned for gaming, as the popular music in Japan is in that range, so they excel at it for footsteps as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back