Need Top Sound Quality Around-the-Ear Headphones ~$300
Nov 25, 2012 at 12:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

carma143

Head-Fier
Hi. This is my first post on this forum and I was wondering for some help.
I have recently been very intrigued by music and was hoping for some of the best sounding around the ear headphones around the $300 range or less. I am going so far as to only buy CDs for now on instead of iTunes music because the CD's FLAC versions are much superior to the 256kpbs that iTunes offers. I am hoping to listen to music through my iPhone 4S.

I like listening to 60s, 70s, 80s, and a bit of 90s and todays music. These artists/bands include:

The Beatles, Electric Light Orchestra, Chicago, Led Zeppelin, Bon Jovi, and others I can't seem to remember. I would also appreciate if orchestra music sounded superb. And I'm hoping that sound leakage is at a minimum.

I am new to 'superb sound quality' and hope these headphones will last a while. (Not flimsy). I have about 3 weeks to make my final decision. To me, this upcoming Christmas will be the Year of the Audiophile :D

Nov 25, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #2 of 21
For anyone who saw this thread in the past ~2 hours, I by mistakenly wrote that I wanted over-the-ear headphones. I really want some around-the-ear headphones (for general example, the Bose QC15 as an example for the around-the-ear headphone).

Nov 25, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #3 of 21
Possibly the oft-recommended Audio Technica ATH M50?  I've used these for years at work and it does not bother my cube mate even when in rock-out mode.  They are not perfect, of course, but I listen to all types of music and never fail to enjoy.  So, very versatile and enjoyable.

I have not heard them, but based on what you say, perhaps also consider the AKG K-550.

Nov 25, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #4 of 21
The ATH M50's sit on the ears.

A few suggestions for around the ear headphones in the OP's price range-

Beyerdynamic DT880
AKG K702
AKG K550

There are, of course, other choices as well.

Nov 25, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #5 of 21
Mad Dogs by Mr.Speakers. Then when you get money get a amp.
EDIT: Or the Sennheiser Momentums as they won't need an amp but will sound great. Whereas the Mad Dogs need an amp to sound there best but without an amp they just sound fine.

Nov 25, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #6 of 21
Sennheiser HD 600. Great for what you listen to.

Nov 25, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #8 of 21
Thank you to everyone for your replies. After I started this thread, I found, what Wolfetan44 said, the Sennheiser Momentum. They look really nice, have great quality materials, and comes with a 2 year warranty. I've looked up reviews on multiple websites. All of them seem to be positive. The only issue with them is that the ear cups are supposedly small, but my ears should still fit into them. The cups seem to be the same size as my PX21 (gaming) and those fit fine.

Are there any other suggestions/reasons why I should not buy this/reasons why I should buy another headphone?
Again thank you for all your replies:)

Nov 25, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #10 of 21
For this forum, I think that each profile should have a summary under each of their posts containing their typical music genres and ear size. :). It would help in decisions concerning ear-cup sizes, et cetera. But now my post is going off topic

Nov 26, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:
Well, the two ATH M50's I owned and sold about a year apart
rested on my ears.  And I have normal sized ears. :wink:

The ATH M50's easily fit circumaurally for me, so apparently this is an issue of individual fit.
Or...  I've heard that there are different versions of the M50 so maybe 
that's the case here.  

No question that the AKG are even roomier, of course.  One of the challenges of buying headphones
is that no two heads are alike.   :)

Nov 26, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:
Hi. This is my first post on this forum and I was wondering for some help.
I have recently been very intrigued by music and was hoping for some of the best sounding around the ear headphones around the $300 range or less. I am going so far as to only buy CDs for now on instead of iTunes music because the CD's FLAC versions are much superior to the 256kpbs that iTunes offers. I am hoping to listen to music through my iPhone 4S.
I like listening to 60s, 70s, 80s, and a bit of 90s and todays music. These artists/bands include:
The Beatles, Electric Light Orchestra, Chicago, Led Zeppelin, Bon Jovi, and others I can't seem to remember. I would also appreciate if orchestra music sounded superb. And I'm hoping that sound leakage is at a minimum.
I am new to 'superb sound quality' and hope these headphones will last a while. (Not flimsy). I have about 3 weeks to make my final decision. To me, this upcoming Christmas will be the Year of the Audiophile
biggrin.gif

Are you planning to use an amp? Your audio source is a smartphone so the output will not be able to drive certain headphones...

Nov 27, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #14 of 21
What about the Audio Technica ATH-AD700? They are 32ohms so will drive better on your smartphone than something 64ohms (more resistant). Plus they are currently 99$ on amazon instead of 249$...

Nov 27, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #15 of 21
That's a spanking good deal for the ATH AD700 and these are very nice headphones.  
However, OP is hoping that "sound leakage is at a minimum".  

So I'm not sure this open design is the right choice... at least on that score.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back