need to upgrade my headsix
Jul 18, 2008 at 7:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

AgainstTheGrain

500+ Head-Fier
want the limit to be about $250. my main problem with the headsix is the phone jacks are not secure and my LOD or headphones are constantly slipping out of the jacks. its very annoying.
the pico is out of my price range but i was looking at some of the ray samuels amps.

i definitely don't want 9v batteries anymore...it can get annoying replacing them. any suggestions?

Jul 18, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #3 of 9
is that an upgrade? sound wise...

well 250 output? if you sold ur headsix for about 120-130 u effectively have about 370 to work with...

Jul 18, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is that an upgrade? sound wise..

well 250 output? if you sold ur headsix for about 120-130 u effectively have about 370 to work with...

I thought the upgrade dealt more with the construction as opposed to the sound. It could be taken either way. I think most of the sub-$300 portable amps are just different flavors and features.

I would also think about dropping Meier Audio an email detailing the problem with the jacks losing their grip. There maybe a solution there as well.

Jul 18, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #5 of 9
dont bother with boa if you want better sound than headsix. i recently sold my headsix to buy boa. i am regretting the decision.
i hated my headsix' phone jacks in the beginning (yes, the plugs slipping/popping out). i started making my own cables using the neutrik plugs (the ones with black casing and gold plated plug, not the nickel ones) with more flexible wires/sleevings and the problem was gone.
dont get rid of your headsix! its such an amazing amp.
but then if the upgraditis bit you, nothing is gonna stop you.

Jul 19, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #6 of 9
i don't have a problem with the sound of the amp mostly the jacks. im not about to build my own cables. i heard good things about the mini 3 and little dot mk 1. what is the verdict on those?

Jul 19, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #7 of 9
i've tried the former.. and i found it to be muddier.. more fun sounding with a warmer sound.. but stage suffers and details suffer.

Jul 19, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've tried the former.. and i found it to be muddier.. more fun sounding with a warmer sound.. but stage suffers and details suffer.

hmmmm interesting...that doesn't sound good to me...anyone hear the little dot?

Jul 19, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjumper78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dont bother with boa if you want better sound than headsix. i recently sold my headsix to buy boa. i am regretting the decision.
i hated my headsix' phone jacks in the beginning (yes, the plugs slipping/popping out). i started making my own cables using the neutrik plugs (the ones with black casing and gold plated plug, not the nickel ones) with more flexible wires/sleevings and the problem was gone.
dont get rid of your headsix! its such an amazing amp.
but then if the upgraditis bit you, nothing is gonna stop you.

As the purchaser of tjumper's Headsix, I was amused to read this.
redface.gif

I have experienced the cable pulling out of the Headsix's jack, but only the interconnect, not my headphone cable (I use UE S.fi 5 pros). I don't have the capacity to make my own cable, but had been considering purchasing a connector from an eBay seller. This makes up my mind!

But I can understand the upgrade bug. I'm already wondering what a Predator would sound like.
frown.gif
I need to find a mini-meet!

Tjumper, could you share your opinion on the relative merits of the Boa vs the Headsix?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back