Need to upgrade my headphone setup, but how?
Dec 28, 2021 at 12:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Godwyn88

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I'd like to upgrade my headphone setup, making a step up in terms of sound.

I actually have:

PC/iPhone with Roon and Qobuz as source
Chord Mojo as DAC/Amp
Beyerdynamic DT880 250 Ohm as full size headphones
Campfire Audio Solaris Shrink Ray as IEM's

Where would you begin your upgrade? A new headphone or a better DAC/AMP (Hugo 2?)?

I have several problems in terms of space, so a desktop solution is not allowed. Budget: 2000€.

Considering that i listen mostly classical, opera modern pop and rock I was thinking of Focal Clear, Denon AH-D9200 or Fostex 909.

What do you think? Many thanks!

Dec 28, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #2 of 13
I don't like recommend headphones because it's highly subjective. I liked the Focal Clear, as well as the Elear, which I find more attractive in price. If your budget is 2000€, then go to a HiFi store and demo everything possible, this is what you can expect for that price. Everything else is already on a high level, the headphones should be replaced.

Dec 28, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #3 of 13
I would recommend the Audeze LCD X, it will run perfectly with the mojo, the Hugo 2 it's great but for that money I will go for a DAP instead, iBasso DX300 for $1250 if you can find one.

P.S. Mojo 2 is coming next month.

Dec 28, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #4 of 13
Just curious how you find the Solaris to the 880’s ?

Dec 29, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #5 of 13
I would recommend the Audeze LCD X, it will run perfectly with the mojo, the Hugo 2 it's great but for that money I will go for a DAP instead, iBasso DX300 for $1250 if you can find one.

P.S. Mojo 2 is coming next month.

Thanks! I'll check the Audeze, I didn't consider them as a possible upgrade!

Do you think they will be a good choice considering the genres?

Just curious how you find the Solaris to the 880’s ?

Hi Buke! Well, quite different. In a few words, Solaris are more resolving and detailed, DT880 have a better dynamics and sounstage for me. :)

Especially on the bass side DT880 are punchier, but honestly I have to work on the Solaris fit with Azla or Spiral Dot eartips.

Dec 29, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #6 of 13

Hi Buke! Well, quite different. In a few words, Solaris are more resolving and detailed, DT880 have a better dynamics and sounstage for me. :)

Especially on the bass side DT880 are punchier, but honestly I have to work on the Solaris fit with Azla or Spiral Dot eartips.
It doesn't take much to drive the LCD-X. They will sound very engaging with the Mojo. I'm a little biased because that happens to be one of my favorite headphones. The LCD-XC and Focal Celestee are also worth checking out if you need a closed back option. Audition as many headphones as you can before making a decision and let your ears guide you.

Dec 29, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #7 of 13

I personally find the LCD X sounds great with all genres, from acoustic to extreme metal.

Dec 29, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #8 of 13
Me personally I have the Focal Clear (og) paired with the IFI Zen Signature and it’s an excellent pairing and great value for money. The Signature is also excellent with IEM’s as well.

I also just recently purchased an Audeze LCD 2 closed back and been really enjoying them with the signature as well. Only downside so far is the weight of these cans. I can’t really wear them for as long as the clear. Different horses for different courses and all that.

Dec 29, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #9 of 13
LCDX is a great headphone but please take into consideration the weight. They say that the 2021 version fixed the problem with frequencies (I use with the 2020 audeze plugin and have no problem with it).
For the rest I vote for it too, it doesn't have the widest scene (but a nice one!). The mids, highs for an audeze, and the bass punch hook a lot for Rock and Metal.
Good luck enjoying upgrading your equipment!

Dec 29, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #10 of 13
Thanks a lot guys!

Dec 29, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #11 of 13
Those Reveal plug-ins are cool but honestly your mileage may vary (for me when I do feel like using those plug-ins LCD-4Z & 94% wet was the setting that worked for me) . I don't use them much when using Roon or JRiver Media Center. None the less the LCD-X is excellent on its own. Again I have a bit of bias but I love the sound of the LCD-X and the DX300 paired together. Not to muddy the waters any further. All the best with your upgrades @Godwyn88!

I spent an obscene amount of money and 4.5 years just to figure out I like Planars and solid state amps best. I hope any input I provide helps someone save some fetti.

Jan 14, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #12 of 13
I don't like recommend headphones because it's highly subjective. I liked the Focal Clear, as well as the Elear, which I find more attractive in price. If your budget is 2000€, then go to a HiFi store and demo everything possible, this is what you can expect for that price. Everything else is already on a high level, the headphones should be replaced.
If you want to hear music that sounds as it was originally recorded, then electrostatics are the best, as they use technology that similar to how most music is recorded (using condenser mics). So, I don't think it's completely subjective.
For that kind of budget, you get could get a pair of Stax headphones (such as the L700) and a tube amplifier.

Jan 15, 2022 at 4:29 AM Post #13 of 13
If your budget is somewhat limited, not to say that about 2k ^^, you shall not heading for a system which bounds you to a desk, imo.
So avoid an electrostatic headphone.
Don't want to offend @AKGman and his opinion, but for me, this statement isn't true in any sense.

It all depends on your preferred sound signature, while the Mojo keeps a warmer sound, it is very detailed. So there's nothing to lose with that little gem.

The money is well spend in a headphone only, bc Mojo is a great, eehm, "portable" device.

I'd have a look for a headphone known for its versatility driving at home and on the go.

But as @Majoox had said above, take your time and listen to the several headphones by yourself carrying the Mojo with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back