Need to upgrade my amp for Sennheiser HD 650
Sep 4, 2013 at 5:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

christobit

New Head-Fier
Current rig - iPod Classic no line out, Sennheiser HD 650 original cable, 2 amps - JDS Labs O2 & Fiio E-11.  Would much appreciate expert advice on a "proper" amp to get the maximum out of my excellent cans.  I am open to upgrading to Cardas cable, and also open to using an LOD to use a better built in DAC (if someone could tell me how :wink: )

Most of all I need a really good amp that can make the 650's shine the best they can.  Thanks in advance!!

Chris

Sep 4, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #5 of 15
  That's just right for Bottlehead Crack and the Speedball upgrade, supposedly one of the best amp for Sennheiser HD600/650.

+1
Having listened to it, I can say that it was just awesome with the HD6X0s. 

Sep 4, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #6 of 15
  Current rig - iPod Classic no line out, Sennheiser HD 650 original cable, 2 amps - JDS Labs O2 & Fiio E-11.  Would much appreciate expert advice on a "proper" amp to get the maximum out of my excellent cans.  I am open to upgrading to Cardas cable, and also open to using an LOD to use a better built in DAC (if someone could tell me how :wink: )
Most of all I need a really good amp that can make the 650's shine the best they can.  Thanks in advance!!

Have you tried running an LOD cable from the iPod's LOD port to the line in on the O2 (& E11)?
It's not cheap to hook up an external DAC to the Apple LOD port.
Better to upgrade from the iPod Classic to a better Digital Audio Player.

Sep 5, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #7 of 15
Many thanks Iaon, Lin and Purple Angel.  I have ordered a Fiio LO cable so will try that from the Ipod soon.  I have stuck with the Ipod Classic cause of its 160GB storage - I have over 10,000 albums in 256 AAC/320 MP3/FLAC so I need the storage.  Any thoughts on a better Digital Audio Player?

Cheers

Sep 5, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #8 of 15
  Many thanks Iaon, Lin and Purple Angel.  I have ordered a Fiio LO cable so will try that from the IPod soon.  I have stuck with the Ipod Classic cause of its 160GB storage - I have over 10,000 albums in 256 AAC/320 MP3/FLAC so I need the storage.  Any thoughts on a better Digital Audio Player?

Wow 10,000 albums, maybe you might need to stick to the iPod.
As I have no idea on anything else that would hold all those albums.

Sep 6, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #10 of 15
I also have the HD650 and I love it with my Darkvoice 3222.
First I had it run through a "Pure" dac. The Pure dac allowed me to use my old 3gs for musical source.
Did not care for the sound so I invest into another dac Yulong 100D MKII and now have the Pure playing through Yulong 100D.

Sep 10, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #11 of 15
Thanks for the ideas everyone.  I looked up the bottlehead crack and found its a DIY item, and I am so NOT a DIY guy lol.  Any other suggestions for an awesome sounding/matching amp less than $500?

Sep 12, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #15 of 15
  Thanks Amorgan, will check.  Btw just remembered I also have a 2 year old HeadRoom Micro Amp that I bought for  about 250$ 3 years ago.  Anyone have any experience with this amp?

Have you tried it out yet? We used the HD650 extensively when developing the Micro Amp. Your headphones deserve to be plugged into this little power house. My guess is it will cost you a lot more to get sound that good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back