Need to upgrade from my Q701s
Aug 5, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #2 of 13
I'm ready to grow up boys...I have a Schiit Magni amp, I need something that's not going to clamp on my head so hard....prefer something that's open ended
Budget?

Aug 5, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #4 of 13
Aug 5, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #5 of 13
Is there something that you'd like specifically in terms of sound signature?

Aug 6, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #7 of 13
Is there something that you'd like specifically in terms of sound signature?

Well, I don't know if I'm experienced enough to say what I'm really looking for, but I remember when I put on my Q701s I was like "whoa these are incredible" but now they sound like "meh" to me, So like a crackhead...Im looking for that next high. I like many different genres of music. I like crisp and tight sounds like compressed bass and a well defined snare hit. I think I'm a high note junky,

Aug 6, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #9 of 13
Will the HExx on massdrop suffice?
The HE4xx sounds based on specs like it is going to be most similar to the HE400i, which does best with an amp (93 dB sensitivity and 35 ohms impedance for both headphones). HE400S does fine without an amp and run just fine straight out of a phone or a DAP, so that is a bit different. I'm sure the 4xx will be terrific but until it gets here it is hard to say what it is going to be like exactly. We don't have FR graphs yet, so there is also that. I am assuming the FR plots will be very similar for the 4xx and 400i.

Aug 6, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #10 of 13
I agree that the 400i needs an amp, I never understood why they market it as an easy-to-drive solution...

Aug 6, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #11 of 13
Well, I don't know if I'm experienced enough to say what I'm really looking for, but I remember when I put on my Q701s I was like "whoa these are incredible" but now they sound like "meh" to me, So like a crackhead...Im looking for that next high. I like many different genres of music. I like crisp and tight sounds like compressed bass and a well defined snare hit. I think I'm a high note junky,
I'd say the 400i is quite neutral, but the fact that it's a planar and that it's so fast should give you that "whoa" factor.

Aug 7, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #12 of 13

Sennheiser HD700

I'd like to spend 300 or less, and I don't mind used cans

Sennheiser HD600 (you need to loosen the clamp by bending the metal frame of the headband) or HiFiMan HE400S.

Sep 2, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #13 of 13
I agree that the 400i needs an amp, I never understood why they market it as an easy-to-drive solution...
Maybe, but not a very powerful one. I've been using DT880s for years, and got the 250 ohm version rather than the 600 ohm specifically so I could also use them for portable and computer listening. I use a fio e11 amp with my iPod and a Magni 2 and Dragonfly 1.2 with my laptop, and those all worked with the 880s, but barely. The 400i is vastly easier to drive, that's the main reason I got it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back