Need to upgrade from Koss Ksc 35
Dec 3, 2005 at 7:46 AM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by joey
Actually, the 590 had really bad reviews here, and according to everyone in this forum, the 595 is head and shoulders above the 590. The 590 is considered the worst of all the Senns.

I've read many comments on the 595, so I'm convinced on getting these instead as it fits my preference.

Good choice. I was going to suggest the 595. Go for it.

Feb 10, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

There's two versions of the 595's, 50 and 120 ohms. Which one is better?

The 50 ohm is the only one in current production. It's easier to drive, and may possibly have a newer or improved voice coil.

Feb 10, 2006 at 6:19 PM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
Good choice. I was going to suggest the 595. Go for it.

I heard the 595 was lacking in the bass department. I would suggest the DT990 if it wasn't so hard to drive.

IMO the AKG K 701 would be the best choice for him but they are hard to get a hold of at the moment.

Feb 10, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

I've had the ksc 35's for over a year now, and I think it's time for a change.

Right now I'm looking into the Sennheiser HD600, but I'm open to any suggestions on other cans.

I prefer a wide soundstage, deep tight punchy bass, cystal clear vocals, and bright sound. My preference in music is eclectic. It ranges from alternative rock, 80's rock, techo/dance, some hip hop/rap and R&B.

Consider the Koss ESP/950. Much more than your usual dynamic cans for about $600.

Feb 10, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Actually, the 590 had really bad reviews here, and according to everyone in this forum, the 595 is head and shoulders above the 590. The 590 is considered the worst of all the Senns.

I've read many comments on the 595, so I'm convinced on getting these instead as it fits my preference.

Don't let all of those negative reviews fool you. They are mostly from people who are long time Sennheiser owners and are used to the "Sennheiser Sound", which the HD590's certainly don't have. If you go back far enough you will find some glowing reviews by some fairly prominent HF members. These are really more of a hybrid between Sennheiser and Grado. They are not extremely detailed, which is one of the things Senn fans don't like, but they still sound good with clasical and jazz but they really excel at electronica, trance and rock. Now, that being said, I believe that one of the main reasons the 590's weren't more successful is that Sennheiser shipped it with a crappy stock cord. It's about the size of cord on the KSC35. Don't get me wrong, with enough break-in (100+ hours) the 590's sound great even with the stock cord. However, if you are a DIY'er or you want to spring for a decent replacement cable, these phones really come alive.

Now that I've said all that, remember, opinions are like...well, you know; everybody has one. Youv'e read all the threads now you just need to go with your gut. The truth is, any of the headphones you've mentioned will sound great. And you will most likely get that itch to try something else down the road anyway, so it's really just a temporary arrangement.
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 17, 2006 at 9:13 AM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

I prefer a wide soundstage, deep tight punchy bass, cystal clear vocals, and bright sound. My preference in music is eclectic. It ranges from alternative rock, 80's rock, techo/dance, some hip hop/rap and R&B.

If you can sacrifice a little bass punch, the Beyerdynamic DT880 is a good choice IMO. It's an airier rather than weighty bass though, which doesn't work well for everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back