Need to replace my trusty AD700 for PC (thinking K612 Pro)
Mar 14, 2014 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

gus6464

100+ Head-Fier
My trusty AD700's have gotten pretty old and worn out as they have been used every day for a lot of years. Now I am looking for a replacement open air can that is just as comfy but with maybe a little more SQ. I was looking at the AKG K612 Pro as the price is right and seem to be a step above my AD700. What you all think? I use them every day to make calls as I work from home, listen to music, and play games on my PC. I will not be taking them anywhere as they will be strictly for PC use.

Mar 14, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #2 of 13
I'm in the same boat as you and was considering the Philips Fidelio X1.  They have a removable cable which means I can use the V-Moda BoomPro mic I already own for gaming and VoIP.

Any thoughts on how the K612 and the X1 compare?

Mar 20, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #3 of 13
you seriously need a good amp/dac before even considering k612pro. k612pro is an excellent choice, probably my top recommendation under $200, but as  I said before you need good amp/dac. MA900 is my other top recommendation, but unfortunately, currently they were discontinued, and little more expensive ($250) due to its discontinuation.  I think X1 could be more safer choice with little more bass response. and hd598 is another good recommendation.

Mar 20, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #4 of 13
I would definitely recommend the K612 pro.

Mar 20, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #5 of 13
My trusty AD700's have gotten pretty old and worn out as they have been used every day for a lot of years. Now I am looking for a replacement open air can that is just as comfy but with maybe a little more SQ. I was looking at the AKG K612 Pro as the price is right and seem to be a step above my AD700. What you all think? I use them every day to make calls as I work from home, listen to music, and play games on my PC. I will not be taking them anywhere as they will be strictly for PC use.

You might consider getting a Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card, $75-$95.
The SB-Z's DAC chip should be better then what is built into the motherboard and the SB-Z has a decent headphone amplifier.

Mar 20, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #6 of 13
I've heard really good things about both the K612 and the X1.  I think they have very different sound signatures from what I've read.  I doubt you could go wrong with either.

For the price difference between the two, though, you could get the K612 and a Sound Blaster Z...

Mar 21, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #7 of 13
honestly I dont think SB Z gonna do any justise for 612pro.. without any proper amp/dac 612pro will sound brighter, thinner. it wont be a pleasent sound signature.. I d rather get X1 or 598 with SB Z.

Mar 24, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #8 of 13
honestly I dont think SB Z gonna do any justise for 612pro.. without any proper amp/dac 612pro will sound brighter, thinner. it wont be a pleasent sound signature.. I d rather get X1 or 598 with SB Z.

SBZ will be fine, the 612 pro aren't nearly as hard to drive as people say. The sensitivity is fairly high.

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #9 of 13
I m sure SB Z can drive it loud. the point is I wasn't talking about driving the headphones.. I was talking about the synergy. as an example 612pro sounds bright and thin with my Xonar Phoebus. 

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #10 of 13
I have a Q701, which I suspect has a similar sound signature to the K612.  I plan on getting a SBZto use as a DSP for gaming, and then a DAC with optical in and an Amp.  This will give me the best of both worlds:  virtual surround for gaming, while still using DAC+Amp for good sound.

Mar 24, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #11 of 13
I m sure SB Z can drive it loud. the point is I wasn't talking about driving the headphones.. I was talking about the synergy. as an example 612pro sounds bright and thin with my Xonar Phoebus. 

I would recommend to the OP that you not worry about so called "synergy" between amps and headphones when it comes to headphones and solid state amps. I find that the differences people ascribe to that are much less profound (if indeed at all) than they are made out to be. Plus, whatever differences that might exist for your ears will be minor enough that only you can be the judge.

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #12 of 13
I would recommend to the OP that you not worry about so called "synergy" between amps and headphones when it comes to headphones and solid state amps. I find that the differences people ascribe to that are much less profound (if indeed at all) than they are made out to be. Plus, whatever differences that might exist for your ears will be minor enough that only you can be the judge.

If thats the case, people dont need to worry about amps/dacs at all. to me its all about finding the right combination. 

Mar 25, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #13 of 13

If thats the case, people dont need to worry about amps/dacs at all. to me its all about finding the right combination. 

Many people don't worry about amps and DACs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back